Revising every day?

Award Winning Boss

Hello,

I read somewhere that because this is a 20 month course, the best thing to do is revise everyday.

Would you recommend that? Plus if you do, how much do you do?

If you don't when do you start revising for the exams you take. Do keep in mind that i've only been through 3 weeks of IB so far.

I'm not sure how to keep the quality of work high while keeping on top of everything because i need 777 in my higher subjects. That's another story for another day :)

Thanks for the help

Nooo don't revise every day. That'll make you very miserable and unless you have a stellar memory, you won't remember any of it or indeed understand a lot of it until you've completed the whole course and can look at things in perspective. For instance stuff like Chemistry a lot of concepts help to explain each other so the best understanding comes at the end.

The way I did it, I worked hard for internal tests, for my end of year exams and then for my mock exams (and obviously the real thing). The amount of time you spend revising is entirely related to 2 things:

1. how much there is to revise

2. how quickly you can revise it

For instance I spent a night revising for any internal test, a week for my first end of year exams (where you've only done a small proportion of the content), 2 weeks for my mock exams and then about a month for my final exams. Working hard for 'major' event exams like end of years, mocks etc. should give you the opportunity to thoroughly revise content and make yourself sets of notes which you can then use for subsequent revision periods. Revision isn't measured in time but in content - you need to have thoroughly memorised and practised every single section of every single syllabus for every single subject. How much time will that task take you? :P

For some subjects, people do say work every day because they're based on repetition so actually doing them over and over and over is more or less the only way of learning (e.g. HL Maths) but I didn't do a subject like that so I can't say.

...and then as always, we're all different people. If you think it will help, go for it, but in my opinion just using the big internal exams your school sets you is sufficient provided you treat them seriously (and as you're British you should be treating them deadly seriously because teachers use these grades to give you your predicted grades which ultimately win you offers and interviews from Unis).

• Like 1

what the heck? I thought only my ex would revise every single day...which I think is crazy.

I only revise when there's a test or exam coming up. anyway you'll eventually realise you actually have no time to revise after finishing all your homework.

you know, some people are just naturally excellent at their selected subjects that's why they can get 7s easily. if you are, you don't need to worry or study that crazily. like, seriously? if you're even worried enough to think about revising daily, maybe you're not the type to get 777 at HL. no offence intended! just my thought. sorry if it's upsetting, but it's what I honestly think. you chose those subjects for a reason. I bet you wouldn't choose them if you knew you'd fail (unless you didn't get to choose and were forced by your school to take those subjects!). so you shouldn't be worrying.

just work hard, listen to your teachers when they're explaining, do all your homework, ask if you don't understand anything, and come here if you need help.

good luck!

what the heck? I thought only my ex would revise every single day...which I think is crazy.

I only revise when there's a test or exam coming up. anyway you'll eventually realise you actually have no time to revise after finishing all your homework.

you know, some people are just naturally excellent at their selected subjects that's why they can get 7s easily. if you are, you don't need to worry or study that crazily. like, seriously? if you're even worried enough to think about revising daily, maybe you're not the type to get 777 at HL. no offence intended! just my thought. sorry if it's upsetting, but it's what I honestly think. you chose those subjects for a reason. I bet you wouldn't choose them if you knew you'd fail (unless you didn't get to choose and were forced by your school to take those subjects!). so you shouldn't be worrying.

just work hard, listen to your teachers when they're explaining, do all your homework, ask if you don't understand anything, and come here if you need help.

good luck!

Haha no i'm not that worried i just wanted people opinion on it because i read it in a forum (might have been here, can't remember). I think i'm good at my selected subjects :)

Thanks for the feedback regardless :)