May 2012 Unite Chat Thread!

dessskris

Hey guys!

The 2013-ers have their own thread. I thought we deserve one too!

So guys, exams are in 7 months. ARE YOU READY?!!

In this thread, you may introduce yourself if you like, rant and show off how many assignments you have to finish, share all your painful experiences in the IB, or any other thing you want to talk about!

I hope we could all chat comfortably with each other in this thread :D

So how's IB2 everyone? Anyone done with TOK, EE and CAS?

2 hours??? that really sucks!

aha I finished my TOK first draft and CAS :D but I haven't even started my EE -.-

and I've finished my chemistry syllabus! it's such a relief! now I get more free periods due to chemistry XD

and, internal exams (I'd say pre-mocks) are coming up. I'll have them on 17 october. mocks anyone?

really? how do your teachers give you predictions then?

thank you! really need the luck because I want to win the battle...

I'm in SL that's probably why :P and our teacher is fast. my class is also almost done with econ and maths. for indo, we need to read some more texts... and english, I don't even know what we're supposed to learn. I don't learn anything much in my english B class. I should probably go and check the syllabus.....

We don't really get predicted grades (which is annoying, I'd like to know them!) except for our EEs so I guess we kind of have to assume what scores we're probably going to get.

Congrats on finishing your syllabi! We're on track for English and Spanish, and we're somewhat on track for history. We did our entire regional study for Paper 3 last year and this year we're doing our Paper 1 and 2 topics. But chemistry, it's sad. :( I have to take matters into my own hands and study on my own.

What do you do in English B?

Hey guys!

The 2013-ers have their own thread. I thought we deserve one too!

So guys, exams are in 7 months. ARE YOU READY?!!

In this thread, you may introduce yourself if you like, rant and show off how many assignments you have to finish, share all your painful experiences in the IB, or any other thing you want to talk about!

I hope we could all chat comfortably with each other in this thread :D

I'm done with all three, but you have to get started on you EE ASAP (pro tip). The earlier the better.

IB 2's been fine, alot of focus is needed (with all the I.A's and whatnot) but with enough time management its pretty bearable.

Finished my EE last week! I have all stuff done for CAS, just gotta write it all down ugh. And TOK, I wrote my first draft and got a terrible score on it, so I'll be re-writing it :P Now I'm working on World Lit 1.

I hear ya emyski. All I've been doing for the past three weeks is history. I haven't touched any French or English :P

And my "mock" Bio exam is in November while the rest are in January.

@emyski

too bad! maybe your school wants to keep it a secret so that the students won't feel 'secured' with those grades and in the end not study hard...

self studying chemistry sucks! I had to self study half of complex numbers in maths and damn I don't like self studying although I'm fine with it... -_-

in english B, we do vocabulary exercises, read the newspaper, read a few poems, articles and short stories, we read a play too... and we do some orals. what do you do in your language B class? I don't even know if my class needs to cover some parts of the syllabus -.-

@HoolaBaloola

yes of course. it's not that I'm lazy or anything, but I just got the topic a few days ago and haven't found the suitable time to actually work on it :blink: I will do it once I get my quarter break (and will have to send it to my teacher on the 4th day of the holiday -_- but idc) thanks for the advice!

@hehe101

OMG I did that too! restarted my TOK essay all over because I thought it was crappy. now, my first draft is finished but dunno how good it is...

starting to work on the TOK presentation tomorrow... thought it'd be fun but we'll see!

Last year we finished all of our grammar and things like that. We did a few mini-orals and things like that. At the end of the year we watched a few movies from various Spanish-speaking countries. This year we've been reading texts from past HL papers and we're going to read parts of real books. Oh and we've been learning a list of idioms and proverbs, and we had to make an advertisement where we made a pun off of one of our advertisements.

Desy do you have a topic for your TOK presentation yet or no?

What do you mean "done with...CAS"? o.O Starting from 2010, we technically don't finish our CAS until March of the exam year:

"Concurrency of learning is important in the Diploma Programme. Therefore, CAS activities should continue on a regular basis for as long as possible throughout the programme, and certainly for at least 18 months."

- Creativity, action, service guide: For students graduating in 2010 and thereafter

Aside that, I haven't finished the other two cores. I'm working on my EE first draft as we speak. I haven't worked for anything towards the TOK essay given the fact that the TOK is done as a "one-year course" typical in American high schools that offer the IB. In retrospect, it's actually three-quarters of the year, considering that the the last fourth is spent on reviewing for the exams.

Edited by Azfar

Well, my EE is almost finished, I just need some feedback to write the final version, and about ToK... my essay needs just a little makeover.

Anway, I have been wondering about something. Do you guys in other IB schools take only the subjects for your may exams, or do you take all the subjects that your school offers but you only do the IAs of the subjects for your may exams?? I ask this because at my school we have to take all the subjects that the school offers for IB (math (either studies or standard), biology, physics, french, english (a2), spanish (a1), philosophy and ITGS) plus the subjects of the normal school (because it is a public school so we kinda have to cover both programs) which are the previous plus psychology, and didactics. The worst part is that we have to do all the IAs for all of the subjects that the school offers for IB. I will take Biology, Spanish and English as higer level, and math studies, ITGS and french as standard level, but I have to do also the IAs, lab reports and stuff for the other subjects too... I don't know how is it at other schools, but I think it is TOO MUCH work, doesn't it?

Edited by rosirosiful

Ooh I'm so far behind.

EE is really shotty work. I'm waiting to get it back from my advisor and have her comment that it's sub-standard work. Need to fix that by November.

CAS is ok, but I need to actually submit all my hours and reflections.

ToK, ugh well we haven't even heard word of our essays being assigned, now it's just endless notes. And I'm supposed to be doing my ToK Language essay right now.

Overall though, the year has started out ok. Better in a personal aspect than in a school aspect anyways. :P

@emyski

um, I actually thought I got my TOK presentation topic, but it's a bit difficult and controversial... I might change it. why?

@Azfar

urgh, that's really annoying! screw them! it's so irrational if they ask us to do CAS constantly for 18 months!!! D: the thing is though, I actually have never heard of this rule before the May 2013 candidates come here. and anyway, my CAS coordinator didn't say anything about doing CAS for 18 months. so, I just follow what he said. I think we're following the 150 hours system. who cares anyway?

@rosirosiful

I believe most of us here only take 6 subjects! your school is definitely crazy! of course it's too much! how could the previous cohorts have survived?

@emyski I did my EE on the book The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by Mordecai Richler. Talked about how the author portrayed Duddy Kravitz as a hero rather than the anti-hero everyone thinks he is. My mentor thought it was good, so hopefully she'll give me a good predicted grade! :P

@Desy I don't even think my TOK essay will get me a C LOL. It's so bad. But then again, I wrote it the night before it was due :S So I'll definitely be rewriting it.

My history teacher gave me one day to find a history IA topic ugh. Looks like I'll be talking about the failures of the Republic in the Spanish Civil War.

@Desy oh I thought you were going to pick your topic; didn't know you already had one

@hehe101 your history IA seems really interesting :D I did my EE on foreign intervention in the Spanish Civil War and how it helped the Nationalists win :P Are you focusing on the failures of the Republic from the 1920s onward or just 1936-39 during the war?

Well my EE, i still have a lot of editing to do and my TOK essay is too abstract and i need to work on it. My CAS hours are sucky right now and i'm scared about them. Atm we're getting predicted's for our uni application. where are you guys planning to apply to? :)

Uhm i've had a rough IB life tbh :/ not a very happy one and well most people don't have to go through what i went through. It's hard :blink:

@kim luffy I'm staying in the US for universities, and the one's I'm applying to are William and Mary, University of North Carolina, Ohio State, and University of Wisconsin for chemistry or biochemistry. I'd apply to Ivies if my chances were greater than .1% - my grades are fine but my ECs are crap :P How about you?