May 2012 Unite Chat Thread!

dessskris

@emyski I just came up with the topic so depending on the research, I'll figure out what time period I want to focus on.. Most likely it'll just be the war years. But the Spanish civil war is very interesting :D

@Kim luffy I'm applying to McMaster, Queens, McGill and maybe Western (canadian universities) for health sci or life sci.

@emyski wahhh that's great! XD i hope you get into them. And you should apply to an ivy league and see if you get lucky :)

@hehe101 mcmaster? Omo i'm applying there too! :D hope you get there. I'm also applying to Queens. It's really nice and i like it a lot.

Well i'm applying to UBC, Memorial, Mcmaster, Windsor, Queens, and this other ones that i can't remember. All canadian. I want to apply for a univeristy in Japan but i have to wait till my mom gets back so i can discuss it with her. I want to do psychology and not sure if i want to work with the elderly people or with children. What do you think? :)

@hehe101 that's good...if need any help/would like some sources I can help :)

@kim luffy thanks :) I don't think I will but my dad is telling me to consider Duke since it's not that far away and is excellent. I'm not very confident about getting in to Duke though :no: I hope you get in to all of those!

Its acceptance rate is 16%...I know that's higher than like Ivy Leagues which is typically 9-11% but yeah. My extracurricular activities, which universities like that puts TONS of emphasis on, are bad. Not saying I don't have any, but they're weak compared to what most people applying to a school like that have.

My dad doesn't mind where I go as long as it's a good school and I receive good scholarships :) I want to go somewhat far away, but not like completely across the country far away. I need to live somewhere else for a while lol, I've lived where I live my entire life.

Are you planning to live in Canada permanently or what?

ow, well i hope you get in. It's the same with me too. I never knew Ivy Leagues were really hard to get into.

Lol yeah and America does have pretty good universities. People in my school are all mostly applying to America. Ah it's the same as me so i can understand that lol. I've lived in Tanzania my whole life. I yearn for change.

Well i'm not sure yet. I want to settle down in a asian country but i doubt my mom and brothers will like that lol. So i guess i have to see about that in the future. What about you?

I want to stay in America, but I really want to go out and travel to all sorts of places. We were never able to afford special vacations to places like Europe/Asia but I'm hoping to visit all sorts of places. I'm not sure where I want to live in America, but I'm NOT living up north or in the middle of nowhere, lol.

@Atheist yeah i know that, that's why i'm hoping so much so that i can get in

@emyski lol why not? Well what you said is also basically what i want to do. Travel and then settle down somewhere. Sorry i trailed off the thread topic (i think) :P what were your predicted for applying to university?

wow, everyone wants to go to Canada. what's the reason behind this trend? I reckon I'm missing something...

I also wish to go FAR FAR AWAY from home. my dad wants me to go to Singapore, which is TOO close to home, and their education system is very tough, which I don't like at all. instead I want to go to the UK. if not Canada or Hong Kong. I still am not sure about the availability of scholarships at good Canadian unis though, so maybe UK or HK.

has anyone applied to any uni?

I attended an international education expo but the unis that came were not really good. the best uni that came was UNSW, so I made an application although I actually don't really want to go to Australia. but if I get an offer, well, I could still change my mind later on :P

Sorry i trailed off the thread topic (i think) :P

it's okay, afterall it's a chat thread and you're free to talk about anything you want to all other M12-ers!

I want to stay in America, but I really want to go out and travel to all sorts of places. We were never able to afford special vacations to places like Europe/Asia but I'm hoping to visit all sorts of places. I'm not sure where I want to live in America, but I'm NOT living up north or in the middle of nowhere, lol.

W&M huh? Have you finished your college supplements yet?

@Desy, i don't know but maybe it's because it's easy to get a place there but then again getting the visa is hard :/ I want to go because of the aurora borealis :D i really want to see that. we haven't applied yet but we will start soon. what universities do you REALLY want to go to? :)

W&M huh? Have you finished your college supplements yet?

Not yet! And yep W&M is one that I'm applying to. I took the SAT on Saturday so I can't finish my applications until I get those scores as well as my teacher recommendations. But I'm in the process of filling out forms and writing essays for the colleges I'm applying to that don't use the common app so I can be done around the middle to end of November. How about you?

@kim luffy well I have a younger brother and younger sister, and there were other things in our life that took priority over taking vacations, so that's why I suppose. My school doesn't do predicted scores unfortunately, but you don't really need predicted scores to get accepted in America. Though I kind of have an idea of what kind of score I'm going to get in my classes lol

@emyski aww that's nice you have younger siblings. I'm the youngest and only girl :/ but i get what you're saying :) Really? you don't need them? I thought America depended solely on predicted grades unless that only applies for international students. Lol really? do you think they're bad or good?

I believe if your school does them you can submit them with your application but it's not like with the UK where your offer is based off of your predicted grades. For English and history I think I'm in a 5-6 range, for chemistry I'm still learning the syllabus so I can't really say anything for sure so maybe a 6 but that's probably not accurate lol, and for Spanish a high 6-low 7. I anticipated math and art last year so those grades are final. But if I were you I wouldn't trust any of my predicted grades except my Spanish one XD

Are your predicted grades any better?

@ Kim: The Northern Lights cannot really be seen in many major cities (heck we can't even see freaking stars!). You gotta go up way up north for that (or really far east :P)

@Desy: The scholarships and financial aid in Canada is not as great as some countries. But the education system here, IMO, is great for some careers. Just wished we had more unis and less competition. The competition here is way too ridiculous :P So many stories of kids not getting into med school here and have to go to like the Caribbean and then they come back and it takes them extra time to pass the test and finally, after like another 5 years do they have a license here in Canada :(

@emyski oh really? almost all of them are in the 6 range :) that's great. Lol why not? not so good in those subjects? or is it hard to score those? I like your combination of subjects btw :) well, for uni application, they're pretty great for me lol.. i have a 6 in english, 6 in business, 7 in biology, 6 in maths, 7 in psychology and 5 in french..total 37 points XD

@hehe101 awwwwwww not even stars? :o we can see stars clearly here. Well then, i would have to travel far east to see them :P They look awesome in brother bear :P

@kim luffy well I gave myself those grades based on how I do in class and since I'm unconsciously biased towards myself that's why they're probably not that accurate XD English is hard because it subjective, history just has a TON of content especially at HL, chemistry has difficult concepts, but Spanish is really easy so :P Your predicted score isn't that bad! It's where I'm aiming to be as well.