May 2012 Unite Chat Thread!

dessskris

@kim luffy well I gave myself those grades based on how I do in class and since I'm unconsciously biased towards myself that's why they're probably not that accurate XD English is hard because it subjective, history just has a TON of content especially at HL, chemistry has difficult concepts, but Spanish is really easy so :P Your predicted score isn't that bad! It's where I'm aiming to be as well.

Owww, okay lol. yeah english is hard but i ended getting a 6 predicted for it XD History has a lot of remembering of dates. Lol Spanish is easy? wow, i'd rather study spanish then french :P or japanese. That's great! :D i hope you get that!! ^^

@ Kim Luffy LOL you do realize that brother bear was set WAY up North? Like the Arctic :P Have fun finding a uni there :P

LMAO really?! i didn't know but i saw like trees and mountains and volcanic activity lol. Dreams crushed lol

finished about 1/3 of my EE today... oh God it was so painful, I was too high I even forgot how to integrate...so in the end I just used calculator lol -.- but I'm happy with my progress...

internal exams in one week! I'd call them my pre-mocks, whatever. I still haven't revised at all... ugh I wonder when I will actually have the time for that.

and my UCAS application is not submitted yet though it's due this weekend OMG...I hope to send it off tomorrow.

has anyone completed and sent off their uni application to any uni?

@Desy, i don't know but maybe it's because it's easy to get a place there but then again getting the visa is hard :/ I want to go because of the aurora borealis :D i really want to see that. we haven't applied yet but we will start soon. what universities do you REALLY want to go to? :)

Oxford!

I'm about halfway done. I've filled out all of the personal information and things like that on all of my application forms! But I still have to do my essays. :panic: I'm also waiting for my teachers to finish my recommendation letters and for my SAT scores to come in, but I can't really do much to hurry that along.

Is anyone close to being done?

I haven't started but then again I'm in Canada and our applications are due in February! I know my friend who's applying to Harvard is working her butt off right now finishing those apps. But what sucks for us is that if you're applying to the states, you have to do a whole bunch of extra stuff for your classes to get those predicted marks earlier than everyone else since ours don't come until after January.

Good luck to all of you applying right now!

And yeah, FINALLY started writing my WL, it's due in four days AHHHHHH.

Really? I don't find writing World Lit papers (at least WL1) that hard. I mean, I did my EE in English so I've gotten a whole lot better at analyzing books and using quotes efficiently. I just finished my WL in two days :D I'm using Siddhartha by Herman Hesse and The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende. Talking about the unimportance of time :)

how long are the essays you have to submit for US uni application? any word or character limit?

I've finished my UCAS application, I just need my school to send it off :D I'm so relieved! it's finally done!

but then I need to apply for a scholarship separately and I need to write another personal statement for that... but there's no limit, I've written one and a half page of essay, and idk if it's too long for them. so I wonder what's the normal essay length limit in the US because the one in the UK is very short :/ I'm afraid my PS is really too long!

ah I loved doing my WL, good luck hehe101! I still wish I got to do the WL2, I love creative writing!

@hehe101 I love House of the Spirits! It's so good :wub: and I used it as one of my books for world lit 1 (the other being Crime and Punishment). And I like your topic by the way.

@Desy for the US it depends, because each uni has a separate requirement for their essay. I know for the common app it's 250-500 words, and there is a section on the common app as well that has a 1000 character limit. The essay for one of the universities that I'm applying to (that I finally finished today! :D ) had a 300 word maximum limit. But usually it's no more than 500 words, which is nothing after doing an EE lol.

MY APPLICATION IS SENT OFF TO UCAS!!!!! :woot::yahoo: I'm so relieved! and excited XD can't wait to get my acknowledgement letters and all that ^_^

ahaha i feel that i've written too much then... I know right? 500 words is so short! too short for me to write everything that i want to write -_-

is anyone applying to Asian universities?

Some of my friends are applying to colleges in India. Some have Singapore also on their minds.

The US common app has 2 essays btw. A 500 word and and a 150 word 'extra curricular essay'. then each college has its own supplements, some have 3 and some even have 1000 word long essays.

Anyhow, anyone else sent in their Early Actions yet?

Wow my school is very quick on many of the terms..

like our EE is due in a week and we have already finished and handed in our TOK Essay, and I have finished my CAS. Although my EE is nowhere close to perfect...

Oh and our HI is due in 2 weeks as well.

I think I will be relatively free after all this mess so this is a hectic semester for me.

Then I have exam revisions to do, but I don't have to worry about SATs and common apps, because I won't be applying to the US or UK.

Hi! EccentricPianist here. Gonna gripe about homework - have the draft of my history IA due tomorrow. Found out one of my two comparison sources is a SECONDARY SOURCE!!! :angry: Got ranted at :read: by my history teacher (also my ToK and economics teacher...I see her All. Day. Long.... because of a homework I slacked off on. Got at least two hours of homework on top of history IA, and I think I've got a cold! *mindsplosion*

(I just discovered the magic of Emoticons, sorry if I'm excessive!)

Alright, rant over. I'm loving this year. I love the people, love the teachers, love the subjects, hate the exams and revision stuff. I have a lot of fun with my adopted family (all 18 of them! Love you guys!) and my wonderful English teacher who makes the world go 'round every other fourth block.

Generally, I'm having a pretty good senior year, despite the fact that I can't go on the senior trip. The exams are on the day they get back - after only 10 hours of sleep over three days and three amusement parks. Bah humbug.

Have fun you guys! Only one senior year! Go class of 2012! Don't you wish you were 1 2 ? (Don't you wish you were one too? Get it? 12? One too? Ahhhhhh-no) :D

Edit: Totally agree with Emysky - there was totally a bromance!

Edited by EccentricPianist

Hello from Canada! nice to see some international students of IB! Just felt like posting in this thread to rant, 7 more months until IB finals. It's also IA and EE season! What's the status on everyone's IAs? In my school, we have JUST started World Lit 1, and History, and nothing else. We finished the first of the Math IAs in Year I, but still have the second one. Still scares me, considering, I have to work on my World Lit 1 and 2, History IA, bio and chemistry IA, french B IAs, math IA, ToK presentation and essay, and other IAs I'm forgetting pretty soon :(

On the plus side, I'm more than done CAS (I have ~110 creativity, ~600 action (!) hours, and about ~60 service hours!) I really like to gloat about my 600 action hours XD

I guess I should ask to keep the conversation going - what are you stressing about right as of this moment?

Edited by WubWubintheTubTub

OMG -Panics-

EE Draft 1 [Due last week] -incomplete-

Business IA Draft 1 [Due last week] -incomplete-

Math IA [Due before last summer] -completed-

Group 4 Project [Due before last summer] -completed-

WL English Final Draft [Due 3 days ago] -completed-

TOK Essay title selection [Due next week] -completed- Doing Questions 6, anyone else doing this too?

CAS Progress -On track-

College Application -incomplete-

College Essay -incomplete-

What else am I missing from the list? O:

Bunch of National Honor Society; Student Council work going on :/

Progress for classes:

Rushing through Calculus and I barely understand the concepts in Math HL.

Going into option topics for Physics already.

Learning Poems and preparing for IOC for English A.

Pretty much doing nothing in Mandarin B HL.

Still at Oxidation and Reduction part of Chemistry HL.

Completed Topic 1,3,4 in Business and Management HL, now learning Communications in Topic 2.

Wonder if our school can finish the syllabus with enough time to prepare for MOCKS :/

• Like 1

Hello all.

M12 seems a long time away but the work is already piling up.

Turned in my not so hot EE on Monday, glad that thing is over, now I'm stuck with 2 science IAs and the HI is coming up too, but I'm not feeling too stressed yet (though I'm sure that will change soon).

Any of you guys get a schedule for all your IAs? My school was kind enough to space them all out and give us the due dates beforehand, which is pretty helpful.

actually... we have only 6 more months to the exams. haha.

the IAs at our school,

for Indo it's done except for the IOC (dec/jan)

for English we only need to do one more individual oral

for Econ we're working on our 4th IA (finalising it)

for Maths it's done

for Physics we're still doing labs

for Chem we'll only do one more practical

EE: 1/3 completed

TOK: essay first draft is submitted, just started on the presentation

CAS: completed

at this point I'm stressing about my internal exams... 3 more subjects to go. and then uni application. dammit!