Math placement

JPG328

What was the process of placing you in one of the math levels. At my school the teacher averaged test scores over a semester and if you had a 98% or above, you were placed in Math HL. Just curious how they do it at other schools.

My school has pre-IB to prepare you for the real IB, if that changes anything.

At my school, you have a choice between Studies, SL and HL. No prerequesits. Some people need the HL, some people don't.

I would think it would be unfair if you were forced to take studies, SL or HL when you didn't need to or want to.

That happened at my school. They didn't explain the way they were going to place you in each class, so I just blew the work off and was put in Math Studies.

We got to choose. Obviously, if somebody who was failing Pre-IB maths wanted to take on HL Maths, the teachers would recommend against it, but nobody can outright stop you :)

Pre-IB didn't do much for me I feel. I aced pre-ib Maths, was told I could easily do HL, and eventually failed SL for a term. Just do what you want, and if you want it badly enough, you'll work hard for it :)

We also got to pick. Plenty of people capable of SL Maths did Studies and vice versa! The school could recommend you do one thing or another, and obviously it's good sense to follow their advice, but ultimately you can pick whatever you want - usually the minimum level required for whatever Uni course you wanted to do!

In our school, you could choose whatever you want, and the school helps you adjust to it.

In our freshman and sophomore years, we have "advanced" classes, and so if you came from an advanced class, you can automatically join Math HL. If you came from the "regular" class, you can still join Math Hl but you need to join a bridging program, since our advance class in our sophomore year was able to tackle 1 whole book ahead of the regular class.

For SL, anyone can join it.

And since only 2 persons joined Math Studies, they scrapped it off completely. :D

In my school, it's based on student's choice. Students ultimately get to choose in Year 11 (Grade 10), with teachers advising them beforehand.

But there is a review session (which is happening at the moment) during the first term in which the teachers who think a student will fail the course has the power to pull the student out of the course, as it's pointless for a student to do a course if they're most likely going to fail it.