2013 CAS

Hello :) I have heard that for those students that are finishing the diploma in 2013 that the CAS outline is different. Rather than the 50, 50, 50 it is required that cas goes throughout consistant 18 months. I was just curious about how many hours per week this requires. I have seen other forums but the hours are in relation to the 150 hour requirement. How many hours do you think is recommended per week throughout this 18 month period?

Thanks in advance :D:rolleyes:

Guest KAPOWW!!

Hello :) I have heard that for those students that are finishing the diploma in 2013 that the CAS outline is different. Rather than the 50, 50, 50 it is required that cas goes throughout consistant 18 months. I was just curious about how many hours per week this requires. I have seen other forums but the hours are in relation to the 150 hour requirement. How many hours do you think is recommended per week throughout this 18 month period?

Thanks in advance :D:rolleyes:

I think you should talk to the user ChikkyD, and Capt'N Marth(don't remember his name exactly) I mostly dense about this change, but those two know.

But here's my attempt, I hope its good enough :) To my understand this depends on your CAS co-ordinator, so if you do 1 hour per week and get away with it, then hell go for that!! coz in IB you need all the free time you can get to channel into IAs and the PSOWs, so you should try to finish those in year(gone are the days when I'd tell someone to finish their CAS in year 1, sad..) basically Reduce your workload for year 2, you don't want the slightest mount of pressure, you just need to be consistently working in that year.

Cheers!

KAPOWW!!

• Like 1

I would say around 2-3 hours a week should be fine, depending on your activities, and assuming you have covered a range of outcomes and are balanced between the 3 categories.

However, since you're doing the whole 18 month thing, I've heard that you're able to get a majority of your CAS done in IB1 and just continue with 1-2 hours a week in IB2 to complete the 18 month requirement. If you CAN do that, I would highly recommend it, as IB2 can be hell if you slack off in IB1.

I would say around 2-3 hours a week should be fine, depending on your activities, and assuming you have covered a range of outcomes and are balanced between the 3 categories.

However, since you're doing the whole 18 month thing, I've heard that you're able to get a majority of your CAS done in IB1 and just continue with 1-2 hours a week in IB2 to complete the 18 month requirement. If you CAN do that, I would highly recommend it, as IB2 can be hell if you slack off in IB1.

Currently my ideas for CAS include:

Creativity:

->Lateral thinking group: 50 minutes (The 50 minutes is during lunch at school once per week)

->Public Speaking: 50 minutes + Competitions

Action:

->Different sport every term: touch football, netball & soccer. These sports involve morning training twice a week plus a game on the weekend. In the term without sport I will most likely take up walking or swimming.

Service:

Service group once a week: 50 minutes + activities

Student Representative Council once a week: 50 minutes

That would mean that I am covered in sport, however with my creativity and service it only adds up to 100 minutes. I'm afraid this might not be enough. Maybe I could possibly find something that incorporates both creativity and service to do on the weekend...

What I've been told at my school is that we are supposed to do the 50, 50, 50, over the 18 month period, not either or. Still depending on how often you do charity work, you should mhave plenty of time because a lot of activities and service you do might take more than just a few hours.

What I've been told at my school is that we are supposed to do the 50, 50, 50, over the 18 month period, not either or. Still depending on how often you do charity work, you should mhave plenty of time because a lot of activities and service you do might take more than just a few hours.

Well, maybe, you may still have to finish the 50, 50, 50, but the main reason IB actually changed its way of looking at CAS is so that you won't just, let's say, do CAS for the first 3 months of CAS, then stop doing CAS altogether!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...