Madame Bovary and From Sleep Unbound.

So in our English class, we've been told to come up with a WL topic by the end of the week so we are able to write it over the spring holidays.

My class has read the novels Madame Bovary and From Sleep Unbound (we have read more but these are the two that i am writing on)

I had the idea of writing about the important/significance of death in those two novels but i am worried that it is a topic that has been done many times before.

I have noticed several things such as Madame Bovary foreshadowing her death several times with quips, seemingly meaningless to the reader until they reach the final chapters. Also, in From Sleep Unbound, Samya almost commits suicide and plans her funeral (as a teenager) before shooting her husband. (No spoiler alert needed because that is in the first chapter)

I was hoping to get some feedback, and also find out what topics people have chosen to do to get any more help narrowing down my topic.

Edited by sarcasm is not dead

• 2 weeks later...

Your topic is rather interesting, but instead of the significance or influence of death, perhaps, the effective use of foreshadowing death to signify plot/storyline development of some sort would be more appropriate?

that's actually a great idea. i wasn't really sure how i would relate literary features to that point.

Arrowhead's idea sounds good, and I'm sure the literary features are there if you look closely. If you still can't find them, change the thesis.

Sharpen it and talk about the significance of death in both novels leading to.... because of... was a cause of... etc. Because your original idea is too vague.