Mandarin B SL Help

plattsk14

So I'm in Chinese 5 now, and have taken Chinese for 4 years (I skipped level 3 because I went to China for language training twice). I'm pretty sure I'll be taking the Mandarin Language B option for the IB test because I'm this far, but the problem is, I don't have a freakin' clue of what's gonna be on the test! My teacher is NOT IB certified, so we have no access to any form of a syllabus, past tests, what people usually do well or badly on, ANYTHING!!! I'm starting to kind of go into IB Panic mode now and I'm desperate for some help! Our new teacher is total crap and our previous teacher was post crap... just utter rotting decay...

I am very good at Chinese. It comes easily to me, but I'm completely in the dark of what kind of material or topics I should be looking at!

That was the bell so I have to go, but please please PLEASE help me =(

So I'm in Chinese 5 now, and have taken Chinese for 4 years (I skipped level 3 because I went to China for language training twice). I'm pretty sure I'll be taking the Mandarin Language B option for the IB test because I'm this far, but the problem is, I don't have a freakin' clue of what's gonna be on the test! My teacher is NOT IB certified, so we have no access to any form of a syllabus, past tests, what people usually do well or badly on, ANYTHING!!! I'm starting to kind of go into IB Panic mode now and I'm desperate for some help! Our new teacher is total crap and our previous teacher was post crap... just utter rotting decay...

I am very good at Chinese. It comes easily to me, but I'm completely in the dark of what kind of material or topics I should be looking at!

For one, you could use the HSK Words List.

The HSK is the 汉语水平考试 (Chinese Language Proficiency Test), and it provides word lists. You may want to get a hold of that, because the HSK is the test the Chinese give to foreigners to test their aptitude, so most probably, the same vocab will be used for the one in the HSK test and in the IB test, since the target audience is generally the same.

For past papers, there are lots on the internet. Just search for it properly. :D

If you need anything else, just tell me. :D

• 1 month later...

Hi! My Chinese teacher is teaching IB Chinese for the first time this year, and I'm his only student! Haha. I'm doing the Language B option as well. :P

My teacher tried ordering a few IB Chinese textbooks for me and his future students in the following years, but our overall school system is terrible...I mean, a quarter of the year has passed and our math department hasn't even gotten our textbooks yet! -.-

Anyway, my teacher told me to buy this, and I hope it will really help. I assume you're learning simplified characters. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Language-Standard-Simplified-Characters/dp/988189901X/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320375000&sr=8-3-fkmr1

My teacher also somehow got a hold of this May 2010 SL Paper 1...hopefully the link works for you!

http://classjump.com/w/wangclassroom/documents/3723347246.pdf

Also you can always search for and used past IB exam papers. Teachers are there as guides, if you're confident enough you can always autodidact your way to a 6 or 7 :)

Edited by Jirashimosu
Links for illegal past papers are not allowed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...