Can Military service count as CAS?

Vyscaria

I am with the Canadian Armed Forces, and this is something I've always wanted to do- I won't quit until I am physically unable to serve. I fought my way here, and I'm fighting on. The military is my future, but I also really want to succeed in IB.

Now the problem is that the army is going to be a huge time commitment. I will be away from Friday evening all the way to Sunday night for training every weekend or so. On Thursday nights, I am parading with my unit. In the summer I will receive 6 weeks of continuous training, or be deployed overseas. I'm already concerned about how I'm supposed to do my assignments under these conditions, but I think I will make it. Throw CAS hours in there, and suddenly things get really tight.

I really wish I could count some of it as CAS, if not for the fact that I'm getting paid. What if I donated my pay to charity? Would it then constitute my service as "voluntary"?

Military Service seems to fill all the criteria of what constitutes as CAS- it is challenging mentally and physically, forces one to work as a team, opens one to world issues, forces one to consider the ethical implications of their actions, increases one's awareness of their strengths and weaknesses... The list goes on.

Thanks to all for your time.

Edited by Vyscaria

I'm not sure if it's different at my school, or what. But I'll give you what I think.

At my school, tutoring counts as service (and creativity, if you manage to explain why). If you get paid, I think it would only count as creativity, not service. I'm sure military service would count as action, not sure about creativity (but you could probably explain how it is), and I suppose in some way it would be service because you're serving your country, but you do get paid and I'm not sure if that cancels it out... It might depend on what your IB counselour says. Could you ask him/her?

So is this your first year doing IB? IB is crazy hard and has the heaviest workload I've ever experienced. Good luck balancing your military life and IB! (Sorry if that sounded discouraging, I didn't mean it in that way)

Agree!

You just have to have someone certify what you did, and make sure that you are able to achieve the goals IB set forth for the CAS.

It's in the CAS Guide.

Speaking of the CAS Guide, you may want to check the CAS Guide. It'll give you info, and maybe from there you could sort it out! (You can get the CAS Subject Guide from the Files Section, General Downloads) for free! :D

Guest KAPOWW!!

From what I read, you're really passionate about this, so it wouldn't hurt to turn down the payment, after explaining to them that 1) That's not what you're doing it for right now(IB CAS) 2) the experience, training and involvement with the military count more than money to you.

Also, you could get a letter from your school, as this can rake up a LOT of action and possibly service, if you get posted.

Personally I admire the path you've taken, and you're young too. (Y) keep it up! :D

Hope I helped

I am with the Canadian Armed Forces, and this is something I've always wanted to do- I won't quit until I am physically unable to serve. I fought my way here, and I'm fighting on. The military is my future, but I also really want to succeed in IB.

Now the problem is that the army is going to be a huge time commitment. I will be away from Friday evening all the way to Sunday night for training every weekend or so. On Thursday nights, I am parading with my unit. In the summer I will receive 6 weeks of continuous training, or be deployed overseas. I'm already concerned about how I'm supposed to do my assignments under these conditions, but I think I will make it. Throw CAS hours in there, and suddenly things get really tight.

I really wish I could count some of it as CAS, if not for the fact that I'm getting paid. What if I donated my pay to charity? Would it then constitute my service as "voluntary"?

Military Service seems to fill all the criteria of what constitutes as CAS- it is challenging mentally and physically, forces one to work as a team, opens one to world issues, forces one to consider the ethical implications of their actions, increases one's awareness of their strengths and weaknesses... The list goes on.

Thanks to all for your time.

IB AND military service? WOW.

Anyhow it wouldn't hurt to ask your IB coordinator to put this question up on the OCC forum. Most probably the IBO WILL accept military services as CAS.

I'm not sure if it's different at my school, or what. But I'll give you what I think.

At my school, tutoring counts as service (and creativity, if you manage to explain why). If you get paid, I think it would only count as creativity, not service. I'm sure military service would count as action, not sure about creativity (but you could probably explain how it is), and I suppose in some way it would be service because you're serving your country, but you do get paid and I'm not sure if that cancels it out... It might depend on what your IB counselour says. Could you ask him/her?

So is this your first year doing IB? IB is crazy hard and has the heaviest workload I've ever experienced. Good luck balancing your military life and IB! (Sorry if that sounded discouraging, I didn't mean it in that way)

Yes, this is my first year with the IB programme. I'm hoping that the first year will be easier than the second, as most of the training will be out of the way by then and I should have my weekends back. Thanks for the luck- and if you don't mind sharing some experience with a first year... What exactly do you mean by 'heaviest workload'? Are we talking about large assignments with extremely close due dates?

Thanks also to everyone who replied- I spoke to my IB Counselor today, and he affirmed that it is possible under certain circumstances. He is going to check with the IB Head Office.

Yes, this is my first year with the IB programme. I'm hoping that the first year will be easier than the second, as most of the training will be out of the way by then and I should have my weekends back. Thanks for the luck- and if you don't mind sharing some experience with a first year... What exactly do you mean by 'heaviest workload'? Are we talking about large assignments with extremely close due dates?

Yeah, cause weekends are pretty precious for IB students. If you can manage your time very well and handle assignments and training...then you should be fine.

• 2 months later...

Just in case any future Canadian IB-soldiers come across this thread and am wondering, my coordinator has decided that military service DOES count for CAS hours under Action and Service. This is because you will likely be working for 19-20 hours a day, but only getting paid for 6. Therefore the rest is technically voluntary. I have been allowed to count all TRAINING hours for CAS (parading or general work hours do not count).

Thanks to everyone who offered their opinions.

Cheers,

Vyscaria