Sign in to follow this  

Which law degree should I take? (LLB,LLM,JD , BA etc)

Hi, I'm applying to study undergrad law next year, and I've very confused as to which degree courses I should apply to. It seems to me that most unis offer BA and LLB, and they are both qualifying degrees -- so what is the difference? Also, I think LLM is a masters of law, so a postgrad degree, but why would you take that if you already have a BA or LLB which is a qualifying course. What is the JD?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm applying to study undergrad law next year, and I've very confused as to which degree courses I should apply to. It seems to me that most unis offer BA and LLB, and they are both qualifying degrees -- so what is the difference? Also, I think LLM is a masters of law, so a postgrad degree, but why would you take that if you already have a BA or LLB which is a qualifying course. What is the JD?

Thanks!

You may get some help here, but you may also want to go check www.collegeconfidential.com

They have lots of great info about college courses! I'm sure they have something on law!

LLB and BA are British undergraduate law degrees (there is some difference between them that I'm unable to discover, I think LLB is more prestigious, or something, not quite sure, you should ask Arrowhead or just browse The Student Room :)), LLM is, obviously, a master's degree, and you would take it... I don't know... to broaden your horizons? and JD is Juris Doctor, and it's an American qualification. :) But Law is a postgraduate degree in States, don't forget about it. :)