Is it possible to study group 4 subjects independently?

norsul

So here's the deal: I don't study in an IB school, but in a normal school that has an IB department in it (that's the way all of IB with the exception of one school is done in Finland), and due to limited resources the school cannot afford to teach a subject at higher level unless there is 10 people who are willing to study the subject in the beginning (that is even if during the course most of the people drop out of HL, the subject will still be provided to those few that didn't). So I amongt four other students wanted to study higher level physics, because we like physics and are very good at it. But because of the rule, the group was not formed, and only SL physics was offered, which was very disappointing :(.

So we were all sad and depressed, until I came up with the idea of studying it independently (now people, this discussion is not about whether I am capable of doing this or not, so please don't brag about us failing if we do it), but our IB coordinator refused, saying that if we allow you to do this, everyone else will come to us wanting to study their own subjects, which will cause problems. So again we were sad and depressed :(. So the pre-IB year went on and now we are in the real IB already and doing our SL physics, until I came up with yet another idea. What if we get a 7 from SL physics in the finals (we are doing physics as an anticipated subject, i.e. in one year), then we could continue our study of physics as an HL subject in some other school, and we needed a 7 from SL physics so that we could prove to the other school that we are capable of doing HL physics. But our IB coordinator refused again, saying that first of all it's not possible for you to study one subject in another school and all the others in here, and there is the technical problem if you want to do it individually because in HL you have to first of all receive 240 hours of lessons, and we cannot lie to the IBO that you have, and you also have to do the IA's which have to be done under the supervision of a teacher and you are simply not allowed to do them independently, and overall IB is NOT a system in which independent studying is possible with the exception of the A-language. So, unsurprisingly, we were sad and depressed again :(, until I met this guy who already graduated IB in 1995. He told us that in their school there was this thing called "guided self-study" which basically means that if you can get yourself a competent guide, you can study any subject individually, and he knew many that did so. Now I'm all excited again, but I haven't asked our coordinator yet, since she is really not a fan of independently studying anything and also she is a literature teacher and probably hates physics. I first thought to ask the IBO directly, but it looks like they don't have an email and all questions are asked by calling them on a telephone, which made me kind of nervous. So I thought that before I call them, I should ask you guys, so that I can tell them that I asked on the forums and they told me this and that rather than not having any background info at all.

So, first of all I'm grateful if you managed to read that whole chunk of text until the end (although you're IB's anyway, so you shouldn't have any problems with long texts :)), and tell me what you know about this matter because I'm really interested to know more. And please, no comments on the fact that independent studying is hard and all that, it's my own problem :). I should also say that I do have HL math, which will greatly help me in studying HL physics if it is possible.

And I should also point out that economics is a subject that I'm very interested in, but it is not offered at our school at all, due to the lack of a competent teacher, but I don't really know what's it about and what things are associated about it, so I wouldn't be jumping to the conclusion that I want to do it also independently, if you could tell be more about the subject and the IA's associated with it, I might also consider studying it independently, provided that it is possible.

Edited by norsul

your school is right in everything they said. the IBO only allows self study for A1 languages I think so. you're not allowed/encouraged (not sure on this) by the IBO to self study all the other subjects, although some schools allow some students to self study.

alternatively, who don't you find a physics teacher outside school, and ask your school if they could be your HL teacher? but classes would be outside of school and you guys should pay the teacher. then the teacher can give your school your schedule so they know if you have fulfilled the number of hours. regarding labs, maybe you could ask permission to use the school lab.

but actually, just give up, IB is already difficult, don't make your life even more miserable!

• Like 1

Well, I asked if it would be possible to do the HL physics in some other school in which it is provided, but they didn't allow me to. And I'm not going to pay anyone since I don't have that kind of money. Well, thanks for the help anyways. Ultimately if I will really need HL physics and economics so bad, I can change schools and use another year on the IB, because if I changed schools I'd probably have to start from the IB1 again. And I'll also have to get to know the new class again, which is always not very easy.

I didnt advise you to take it in another school.. still do it at your school but get a teacher from outside.

and you've just started what? move now.

I understand what you mean, it's just that I can't afford to hire a teacher. In Finland education is free and I wanted to do HL physics and economics for free. Sure, if you I had the money I could study anything anywhere :).