Sign in to follow this  

To what extent do sources have to be referenced?

I wasn't entirely sure where this should go but anyways

So, to my knowledge in IB it is extremely important to get your referencing right. However, does every single thing that is not your own opinion have to be referenced? I know that well-known dates and such can be not, but what about e.g. a statement such as "this historian, who has written several publications on the cold war, says..." (and then a quote which of course would be referenced) etc? Or other kind of general information like that, such as if someone's a political scientist, is acclaimed for his works, has won the nobel/pulitzer/whatever price, is known to have rightist/leftist viewpoints or stuff like that.

Just seems a bit silly to find a whole new source for just a quick mention that is not even that important regarding the topic.

Things which are just general knowledge/facts like the fact that somebody is a political scientist etc. don't have to be referenced, don't worry.