E on the EE?!

mathlete94

Hey,

I was wondering if it is very common for poor essays to get E's. Is it common for essays predicted to get A's or B's or even C's to get an E from the IB?

It really worries me to get an E on the EE because then you cant get the diploma!! :/

Any information on the subject of the grading would help. I know the grades are sometimes inconsistent.

People do get E's on their EE's, and how they do that I don't know. Out of the possible 36 you can get, you have to earn 8 points or less to get an E. You literally have to go out of your way, completely miss the point of what you have to do, or write your EE in the wrong subject to get an E. However I'm pretty confident if your essay is predicted as an A/B it won't come back as a D or E unless your supervisor sucks and gave you an overinflated prediction or didn't know what they were doing.

Extended Essay markbands are as follows:

A: 30-36 Points

B: 25-29 Points

C: 17-24 Points

D : 9-16 Points

5: 0-8 Points

Edited by emyski
  • Like 1

Like emsky said, it'd be crazy to get an E on your EE. You really do have to go out of your way to manage it. Believe me, if you have an abstract, citations, headings, an outlines research question (not a good one) and something over 2,000 words, even if they're pure crap, you will earn more than 8 or 9 points on your EE. It's not very common to get an E on your EE. However, it does happen. At worst, you'd get a D, if you put in the effort of doing an abstract, references, having a research question and whatever else. Don't worry about getting an E. C's are common, because that's the average I guess. However, it all depends on what subject you do it in, your topic, your abilities to write and research, and finally, your supervisor. Just don't stress too much about it. IF you're REALLY worried, just aim for an A in TOK and you'll pass the diploma. But I guarantee you'll get more than an E if you put in SOME effort :)

• Like 1

you can still get your diploma if you get an E on your EE as long as you get 28 or +. You can only fail if you get an E on both EE and TOK so dont worry.

Really? i was under the impression that just getting an E on the EE would fail you from getting the diploma, so the TOK grade is considered too? That helps thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone!