university choices

IntellectualBadAss

Hi, I have a few questions regarding about university.

1) i'm a canadian citizen, is it worth it to pay $50k+ a year to go to like UC? (berkeley, UCLA, etc)

2) how many IB points do i need to get accepted to UBC or U of T?

3) If you've been accepted to UBC, U of T or McGill, pleeeeeease share your IB points!

what is the predicted mark based on anyway? thaaaaaaank you so much! i'm new to IB so there are a lot i'm unclear about :S

For #1, to be honest, if you live in Canada it's probably not worth it to move and have to pay more for American universities, at least not for your undergrad. At this point don't worry about prestige because most universities will provide you with a good education. When you get a master's or Ph.D (should you decide to) employers will usually look at where you got that from, rather than where you did your undergrad.

Unless the university you're looking at has a certain program that isn't available anywhere else, in which case ignore what I just said.

For #s 2 and 3, I haven't really done any university preparation yet, so I'm not quite sure about those. I know that UBC really likes IB students though and they apparently accept the most IB students out of any universities, so there's that.

visit their website and look for it yourself. if you don't know their website, simply google the university name.

I'm not doing the searching&looking up for you because I always find out more information than what I wish to get whenever I visit a university's website, so it's worth checking for yourself.

1) IMO it's not worth going to American unis for your undergrad if you're Canadian. The government doesn't subsidize post-secondary education as much in the States as they do in Canada so you will have to pay much more when you can do the same program here. However, if money isn't an issue and you find unis in the States that you have fallen in love with, then apply there. Like aldld said you can go to America for your post-grad studies because the reputation will matter more then.

2) The minimum for U of T is 28 points. Many programs will require more than 28 points to be considered, depending on how competitive it is. It should be roughly the same with UBC. But since you're applying from Canada, they will put more emphasis on grades obtained in a Canadian system and not so much your IB grades.

Your predicted mark can technically be based on whatever the teacher wants to base it on. Usually it includes how well you did in class(on tests, quizzes, etc.), your IA scores, and your mock exam scores if you did them.

I have looked at the websites but I couldn't really find a lot of information about whether or not it's a good idea for Canadians to attend an American university. And to Summer, thanks! But one more question: Do American universities accept a reasonable amount of international students for graduate level? because the international med school acceptance percentage is extremely low.

I was suggesting checking their websites for the minimum points required <_<, not for whether it's worth it. of course they won't put that kind of thing on their website.

UofT required at least 28 points. UBC required at least 24 points (surprisingly!!) but there are a few subject specific requirements for certain programmes.

I honestly thought they required at least 34-36, but perhaps I remember wrongly.

PREDICTED GRADE: Just to add a little bit: This is the grade your teacher gives you, and the thing that you will place on your application to universities if you're taking the external exams May.

Since you won't have the scores of your external exams yet, your IB teacher will give you a grade he/she thinks will be the one you will get from the external test, and that is what you put in your apps.

The basis of the grade depends on the teacher solely. So, if you want to have a good grade, be nice to your teacher. :)