Two questions

Hyunqul

Hi all ,

I'm writing my A1 extended essay ... I'm wondering if I can include relegion in my essay , for example :

"How did author X represent the jewish charachter? "

Or : "Relegious symbolism in novel X) ...

so..is there a problem with that ?

Another question , what is the minimum number of resources I have to use ? Because some topics lack resources , although I can write about them perfectly by my own analysis.

Thanks.

there is nothing wrong in including religion in your EE as long as it's related to your topic :) so yeah those example questions are okay :)

i'm not sure but i don't think there is a limit but you have to include some research to show that you actually researched on that topic since (As i was told) the EE is a research essay. I hope i helped :)

• Like 1

Going along on what kim luffa started with:

1. Including the idea of religion and how it may prejudice certain characters in certain works is indeed a wonderful EE idea and depending on the books can be quite interestingly written about. (But in future, try to spell 'religion' right, with an 'i' not 'e' :))

2. There is no strict minimum number of sources, there is however a suggested number of sources. A good EE would have at least 8-10 sources. Mine had around 8 books, 4 internet sources, and 8 taped (with transcripts) interviews...I still felt there was so much more to research. But you do need sources, a few at the very least.

• 3 weeks later...

Going along on what kim luffa started with:

1. Including the idea of religion and how it may prejudice certain characters in certain works is indeed a wonderful EE idea and depending on the books can be quite interestingly written about. (But in future, try to spell 'religion' right, with an 'i' not 'e' :))

2. There is no strict minimum number of sources, there is however a suggested number of sources. A good EE would have at least 8-10 sources. Mine had around 8 books, 4 internet sources, and 8 taped (with transcripts) interviews...I still felt there was so much more to research. But you do need sources, a few at the very least.

Woahhh WOW! 8 taped interviews! That's awesome! Who all did you interview btw?

I'm sooo stuck. I don't know any authors/poets whom I can interview... :/ Can u help?

Woahhh WOW! 8 taped interviews! That's awesome! Who all did you interview btw?

I'm sooo stuck. I don't know any authors/poets whom I can interview... :/ Can u help?

It's a matter of subjectivity. My EE was on comparing Shakespearean theatre as a form of absurdist theatre, nothing to do with poets nor novelists nor authors. Also my Mum did her Masters in Shakespearean Theatre as a form of Literature...something, so she had many insights, she also knew many academics in the limited field and helped arrange some of my interviews. I hounded a director of Shakespearean plays in London for months and secured an interview with him regarding the modernist art form of Shakespeare, everything that he said became the opposition or counter-arguments if you will, to my thesis and main arguments.

But really, it came down to the flexibility and sheer academic nature of my topic that justified having interviews, if, for example, you're researching the imagery of the outdoors in Emma, then you won't really be needing interviews at all, you just need your book and a creative mind (and maybe a literary terms journal). Things like this vary and the kind of sources certainly vary from different topics especially when it comes to an English EE.