English A EE - Need urgent help!

VeritasAeternum

This is my first post so bear with me please. :)

I was thinking about writing my extended essay with reference to The Bell Jar and/or The Handmaid's Tale, but I am a little confused... Well, I would like to do it on either female madness or gender persecution (very vaguely speaking of course), but I need to determine the works I will be using before I specify and narrow down my topic. Do you think it would be a good idea to choose either of those novels and find another piece of literature to compare it with? What could be that other one be? Any recommendations/advice overall?

Thank you all in advance!

Both The Handmaid's Tale and The Bell Jar are overly used "IB books" that are used for IOPs or something or the other. Go to a local bookstore and pick up a book that really interests you, that is one of the best ways to move forward. Don't pick a topic and try to find a book that "fits" it, you will be floundering and get nothing done. Pick a book first and then find the topic in it.

Best of luck!

Arrowhead.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 2

Both The Handmaid's Tale and The Bell Jar are overly used "IB books" that are used for IOPs or something or the other. Go to a local bookstore and pick up a book that really interests you, that is one of the best ways to move forward. Don't pick a topic and try to find a book that "fits" it, you will be floundering and get nothing done. Pick a book first and then find the topic in it.

Best of luck!

Arrowhead.

Yes I agree with Arrowhead in that those books are heavily IB.

We're currently doing an in-depth study on the Handmaid's tale and the gender persecution is not meant to be obviously gender orientated.. if you know that I mean.. Atwood was more concerned with "human rights" than women's rights. She doesn't show feminism either in a positive light or a negative light. Also, women aren't all persecuted... there are also minority groups who fall victim to Gilead. You must be careful of making generalisations.

As for your EE, i agree... do something that you like.

What's your favourite book? Why?

Do some research on it.

But do NOT do any pulp fiction books like twilight, harry potter or anything like that. >.<

And don't be cliche and do authors like Jane Austin either.

Be unique! But it must also interest you.

Good luck!