Sign in to follow this  

Presentation american education failing? (with puppets) HELP NEEDED

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my tok presentation because I'm kind of stuck and confused on what to do. My knowledge issue is "Is America failing in educating its populous?" and I don't even know if thats a good wording...

To present it I'm making Anderson Cooper and Bill O'Reilly puppets and it's going to be kind of like a debate. hahah

So what I'm having trouble with is where to go from this? like I can't think of any derived knowledge issues from my main one and any different ways to look at this issue. :( And what WOKs and AOKs could I even talk about in my presentation? perception, reason, and human sciences? ahfdsa confusion!

Some ideas I have, I guess, are that in other countries education is more competitive and the not so smart people are weeded out whereas in america everyone gets a shot at a higher education. my teacher was talking about how in other countries the govt decides what career people can go in and stuff, so how would I incorporate that? or even find info on it? then theres always that debate of if we are spending too little or too much money on education. and if america gives too much false praise to its students.

please help me! I'll owe you my first born! :sadnod:

Psst, the main reason you can't find any secondary knowledge issues is because your topic isn't actually a knowledge issue!

A knowledge issue, in brief, is anything which can be put in the format "how do we come to know X?" and still make sense.

Your topic at present is just a mildly interesting debate question that has nothing to do with TOK ;) If I were you I'd either change the direction of your topic or find a different topic if you want a good mark.

Psst, the main reason you can't find any secondary knowledge issues is because your topic isn't actually a knowledge issue!

A knowledge issue, in brief, is anything which can be put in the format "how do we come to know X?" and still make sense.

Your topic at present is just a mildly interesting debate question that has nothing to do with TOK ;) If I were you I'd either change the direction of your topic or find a different topic if you want a good mark.

oh no! I wish my teacher would have told me this :bawling: procrastination is the devil. at this point I think I'll have to take a different direction with this topic (already changed my topic 3 times...) because my presentation is this week... do you have any suggetions for directions I can go in?

Find a direction by looking for "how do we come to know X" type questions is my advice. Specifically, that style of question AND an answer where you look directly at the Ways of Knowing.

For instance to change direction but keep a similar topic, how do we know that going onto higher education is best for everyone? Basically: where does this knowledge come from and is it true? Attack the question from the Ways of Knowing point of view to look at why it is we assume that everybody's ultimate goal is higher education. The main crux of this topic being that higher education is perhaps NOT necessarily best for everyone -- people who have an affinity for manual stuff, sports, apprenticeships etc. don't need higher education, so why is it that we (or at least, the state, who tend to use it as a marker of achievement/development) assume people have somehow made less of themselves for not going on to do it?

Corollary perhaps being that people who don't belong in the higher education system are wasted (e.g. somebody who's got a knack for repairing cars having higher education presented to them as the best thing, going on to University to study something unrelated and ending up with giant debts and feeling inadequate at their degree versus going straight into what they're good at, feeling happy and fulfilled because it's a job which suits them and not being laden with debts)...?

That's just some suggestions for where issues lie in the area you're talking about. What you have to do is look behind these 'knowledge issues' and think: how did we come to these conclusions? For social norms like "higher education = good" look at things like bias, the media and the roles of the WOKs. How does Reason contribute to this conclusion? How about Emotion? Language? etc.

Or think up some issues yourself. Basically whatever you do, don't pick an issue where you can't also simultaneously see opportunities to explore the roles of the Ways of Knowing within the creation of the issue.

Hope that helps.

Find a direction by looking for "how do we come to know X" type questions is my advice. Specifically, that style of question AND an answer where you look directly at the Ways of Knowing.

For instance to change direction but keep a similar topic, how do we know that going onto higher education is best for everyone? Basically: where does this knowledge come from and is it true? Attack the question from the Ways of Knowing point of view to look at why it is we assume that everybody's ultimate goal is higher education. The main crux of this topic being that higher education is perhaps NOT necessarily best for everyone -- people who have an affinity for manual stuff, sports, apprenticeships etc. don't need higher education, so why is it that we (or at least, the state, who tend to use it as a marker of achievement/development) assume people have somehow made less of themselves for not going on to do it?

Corollary perhaps being that people who don't belong in the higher education system are wasted (e.g. somebody who's got a knack for repairing cars having higher education presented to them as the best thing, going on to University to study something unrelated and ending up with giant debts and feeling inadequate at their degree versus going straight into what they're good at, feeling happy and fulfilled because it's a job which suits them and not being laden with debts)...?

That's just some suggestions for where issues lie in the area you're talking about. What you have to do is look behind these 'knowledge issues' and think: how did we come to these conclusions? For social norms like "higher education = good" look at things like bias, the media and the roles of the WOKs. How does Reason contribute to this conclusion? How about Emotion? Language? etc.

Or think up some issues yourself. Basically whatever you do, don't pick an issue where you can't also simultaneously see opportunities to explore the roles of the Ways of Knowing within the creation of the issue.

Hope that helps.

thank you so much! I think I get what you're saying and yeah now that I look at it my topic was doomed from the start. but now maybe I have a chance!