Senior Graduation Trip

WubWubintheTubTub

I'm in my senior year of IB. A couple people have been organising a grad trip to the Carribean coastline through a company called S-Trip. I'm trying to decide whether or not to go. To be completely honest, I'm a quiet and normally reserved person, and I don’t feel like what they will be doing is right for me. The organisers currently plan for a themed-rave every night as well as activities (snorkeling, battle of the sexes, etc) in the afternoon. I don't usually talk to people outside of my IB circle, but I am on most of the senior sport teams - so I socialize with them when I can.

Is the grad trip a waste of money (it's around 2 thousand all exclusive)? I think that it'll bring a dent to my savings I had for university. Thoughts, opinions, personal anecdotes? :)

Sounds like fun and the perfect way to unwind after exams. But tbh, $2,000 is a bit much for themed raves and afternoon activities. You will be doing enough of that at University at much cheaper rates. Save your money and use it to pick up some chicks at Uni instead, much more worth it iMO.

• Like 1

Sounds like fun and the perfect way to unwind after exams. But tbh, $2,000 is a bit much for themed raves and afternoon activities. You will be doing enough of that at University at much cheaper rates. Save your money and use it to pick up some chicks at Uni instead, much more worth it iMO.

I honestly couldn't agree more.

No seriously, it really doesn't seem worthwhile. Maybe if it could help you out in your college apps...maybe. but it sounds more like a stress busting vacation.

As Arrowhead said, spend the money on the chicks.

Agreed with the above. Also IMO travelling to another country and then doing activities in a sort-of strange compound like atmosphere in my opinion is a waste of your money. If you go to the Caribbean it'll be a lot more interesting to actually /see/ the Caribbean. Why don't you try to persuade your closer friends to go on holiday a little bit more locally?

All the pluses of going on this holiday but without the expense. Going away after exams is a great laugh -- I did it (going somewhere locally) and had an awesome time. I also then went on a slightly bigger holiday to Ibiza which was basically just going clubbing (which I enjoy occasionally but isn't really my scene) and actually it wasn't as fun for me because I'd paid a lot of money to do stuff I wasn't that interested in, even if it was with my some of my best friends.

So yeah. That's just what I think. You should do these things because spending the money will make you genuinely happy. If you think that $2,000 is a good spend, do it. If you don't feel like you're going to get as big a kick out of it as $2,000 should warrant, try doing something different which you WILL enjoy. After all, the things we spend our money on should make us happy and fulfilled -- and if not, we need to think again about how we spend our cash!

IMO. Spending it on drinks in Uni is a splendid way to be happy and fulfilled. If I had a couple of thousand quid extra to spend on joining societies, going out, weekend breaks and so on, I'd be over the moon. Especially because at Uni if you have extra money you can afford to be generous to other people and in my opinion there're few better things than that. Just saying ;)

i would spend that money on shoes and clothes :blink: a girls got needs! haha

but seriously, its not worth it. You can save it up, maybe put it towards buying a super sexy car ;) lol i saved money from when i was like 10 uptil now, and now i own a really sexy car :D haha :P:) its still up to you though :)

thanks for taking the time to reply guys, much appreciated. I really like the idea of a more personal trip (I've actually started planning a French exchange with a pal with mine for about 5 weeks with bursary $$). The thing that irritates me away from going on the graduation trip is that there will be about 2000 students (most of the high schools in my city will be) at that resort, and I don't think I could ever hold myself having fun at ~$280 a day for 7 days. (Too bad most of my IB mates are heading to the trip - a lot of them have grown extremely close, and I'd to invite them to do a more personal and quieter trip).

I'll guess I'll heed most of your advice - and save my money for more important things in university ;) ... if i get out of IB alive.

Edited by WubWubintheTubTub