Reading (Boring) Books

can anyone help me?

I'm currently reading Bosnian Chronicles by Ivo Andric and I (personally) find it very very very very very boring

and I just can't get into really liking it plus wanting to read it

I can read a whole page and then realise i wasn't paying attention... if that makes any sense, haha

i have to write summaries on every chapter as well so i have to read this book also i may be using for my WL 2

so does anyone have any tips or ideas on reading a boring book?

thank you :D

Guest Outré

ahahahhaa Madison, madison, you naughty girl XD

For boring books you go to the net, and just type for summaries and there you go. However, if you're doing a WL in it, I think it would be of your benefit to read it thoroughly :S

Still, it's worth to try to find a book in a library or something that comments on the book or on the author's style ;)

Edited by Outré

Hmm, well i usually listen to music and read because that helps me stay awake when reading a boring book. But yeah find summaries of the book but then again, for the WL you need proof/evidence for what your wrote and therefore need to quote. This depends on the type of scenario you're doing for your WL2. If you don't know the book thoroughly, you won't know where the quotes are. Try doing something interesting to you like eating for example (if you like eating lol) while reading and that may keep you interested. It works for me but you could give it a shot. Or ask your friends to help you :)

Edited by kim luffy

Guest Outré

LOL poor little girl! XD

and of course there are summaries! just type his name and search in bosnian and then use google translate to translate it ;)

PS: REPLY! :P

Edited by Outré

Read it and try to pay attention to things like the style of writing, themes, characters etc.

Usually I'd say that that is exactly how to go about ruining a book, however if a book truly is that dire and boring it can also break the monotony by at least making you pay attention and giving you things to appreciate - sad as they are! It's also helpful for your WL essay aaaand probably the way to get the most enjoyment out of the book given that it's a book picked for your WL and therefore likely to be quite high quality as regards literary features and language.

I found pride and prejudice really boring, although a lot of other people seem to really like it, I really had to pinch myself to concentrate in class when we were discussing it ( although it ended up as one of the books in my IOP :P).

What I can say is, I sympathize. You can try what I did, although it may not work out for you : Read two lines/paragraph (as much as you can without getting distracted) close the book and repeat what you read. That way, you make sure you're paying attention. Luckily, you wont have to do that for the entire book, as books generally get more interesting when you get the hang of the plot.

Good luck!

Hope you get better books for your IOC, because it's really hard to practically memorize a book you don't like. I have 'I know why the caged bird sings' for my IOC, and I don't like it in the least. Yuck.

Just push through it and read it, it's not that hard. Force yourself. I used to put goals in front of me every day when I had to read Madame Bovary. Five chapters for the day and then I would be done. I ended up getting really into the book 15 chapters in and then finished it off at one go. You just need to push through the first 100 pages and it's smooth sailing from there.