Do UK universities accept Partial IB students?

Julia B.

Jus to clarify, I'm a full IB student (Diploma), but I've been debating lately whether I would benefit from dropping to partial IB (Certificate) or not. I'm currently in my last year, and I take Geography, History and English HLs and Math and Biology SLs. I hate hate hate Bio, and while Math is okay it does take up a lot of my time. I would rather concentrate more on my HLs instead of working my ass off to get a good mark in a Math test or sitting through two hours of tedious Bio class.

I thought about dropping Bio and Math and only sticking with my HLs (plus Portuguese SL, which is self-taught and quite enjoyable). I talked to some people who had dropped from full to partial IB, and they all got into universities here in Canada. I want to go to the UK, though, so I'm not sure how that would work. We aren't required to take Math in grade 12 here in BC, and I honestly believe I could improve my GPA if I didn't have to know matrices.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get accepted into UK universities without taking Math 12? That's my main concern, really, because I plan to major in Medieval History and would certainly not need Math for that. Or Bio, for that matter.

My first choice of university is St Andrews in Scotland, and their website says students should "take subjects which are relevant to the course of their choice", and should take 5 subjects in grade 12 (History, English and Geography HLs, Portuguese SL and some other random, easy course I can take just to bring my marks up), achieving an 85% average or higher. Compared to the required 36 IB points, this is very, very easy. I actually emailed the university a while ago asking why the big difference in requirements, and they said they don't know and that what matters is that the student achieves the grades asked. Besides, if I dropped I wouldn't have to finish CAS (which I'm almost done with, but still).

Anyway, sorry for the long looong question, but I would appreciate any help! I emailed St Andrews again but haven't heard back yet, and my IB coordinator just had surgery and isn't at school at the moment.

Thanks!

It just makes me wonder why UK universities would accept regular Canadian high school diplomas at such a low mark, while demanding pretty solid IB points. Besides, if it says on their website that I only need to "study subjects which are relevant" to History (since I want to major in it), Math or Bio shouldn't matter. I don't want to drop to partial without being absolutely sure first, though.

• 1 month later...

If i were you, me being in my last year, same as you, i would not drop it. You could not have come all this way for NOTHING> because if you drop it, lets just say it will be VERY hard for you to get into university like A Level of full IB do. I would ride out the storm and see the diploma until the end.

...besides, Bio SL is easy, and SL Math is doable. Im an HL Bio student and i got a predict of 5 as you can see below, although i was ****ing up. SL Math on the other hand IS NOT WORTH DROPPING. If you drop it, certificate or no, you will not be able to apply to most universities for anything. I take SL Math and because of that, i couldnt apply to the Universities of London besides one college. Don't do yourself the service, cuz if you do, forget going to Universities.

UK Universities don't accept IB students who don't have a full IB Diploma. Perhaps some obscure crappy ones might, but St. Andrews is actually a good Uni and unlikely to stoop so low even for exceptional cases :blink:

If it consoles you, nobody here will care about your GPA or any shiny stickers your teacher may have given you. To be honest I don't understand why people value stuff like GPAs when it's blatantly just how much you suck up to your teacher/how many hours you spend sticking bits of dried pasta onto some paper. The only things they care about are your final IB Marks.

I would rather concentrate more on my HLs instead of working my ass off to get a good mark in a Math test or sitting through two hours of tedious Bio class.

Of course it's easier to not do the things you find hard. Which is exactly why that won't get you into University.

The system here is very unlike Canada. Grades matter A LOT. Achieving the IB Diploma is a given, you're not going to go anywhere fast without it (my friend even needed the Diploma to study Photography at one of the most rubbish Unis there is in the UK). On top of the very baseline of a Diploma, you also need excellent grades, especially for competitive courses which are intellectually strenuous at a good Uni. Eez a fact.

• Like 2

Yes I agree that an 85% average is easier to get than 36 points. The thing is that St. Andrews will be much more familiar with the IB than the Canadian system. The IB diploma will hold more value internationally whereas in Canada they barely even look at it other than to give scholarships (they don't even accept you based on your IB scores most of the time ) Everyone has subjects that they don't like and/or are not good at. I took Economics last year and it wasn't interesting, but I pulled through with it because it would be a waste to not get the diploma and drop all the way down to IB certificates just because I didn't feel like taking it. Math wasn't easy for me either but I needed it for university and the IB diploma. You have to just live with it, do as well as possible, and trudge on.

Think of it this way: St. Andrews will take more IB international students than international Canadian students who did some curriculum that they know very little or nothing about. They're just more familiar with the IB.

I would stick to the diploma, it would make it easier for you to get into St. Andrews. Plus you'll get the IB diploma that you've slaved for for 2 years XD

I concur with everything Sandwich pointed out, if you're serious about the UK and St. Andrews as well, then you need the full IB. Also, you really need to pull your weight, Uni in the UK is not exactly a walk in the park especially if you take some of the more demanding courses offered. The IB is laughable in comparison and not everything you study in your Uni is interesting, in fact a lot of it is overtly dry stuff that you can go your life and career without knowing.

But such is the nature of academia, nothing comes easy and you need to learn how to suck it up and move on no matter what.

• Like 1