Sign in to follow this  

Distinctions between true and false

The essay question states that, "There are no distinctions between what is true and what is false." I would like to prove this statement wrong and have started some research between the two, but would also like some ideas. All contributions help, thank you.

Here is an interesting article on truth. http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/Truth_theories.html

Summary of the summary I linked to:

Correspondence theory: a statement must accurately describe reality to be true

Coherence theory: if a claim does not counter another claim held to be true it is true

Pragmatic theory: If a claim being true makes reality easier to understand/function in it is true

I agree with C.James' approach. Take apart different definitions of truth like the Platonic one above and create examples where what is defined as true is actually false. Here is an example:

You might also want to explore 'truth' with respect to individual Ways of Knowing. i.e How do we use emotion to find truth? If our emotions change over time, does this change the truth? If so, is truth never definite?