University math...

BenjoNi

Hello everyone :)

I'm new to this... and yeah.. from this year I've started with IB.....I'm interested in going to UK to university... but I'm on math studies not on math SL..... will that affect my choice... I mean... will universitys accept me with that math.. and I'd like to study something about electronics or economics....

First of all, good luck with the IB! It is a hard but rewarding program :)

Well, math studies is generally not really appreciated by universities (of course it really depends on which universities we are actually talking about). When it comes to Economics, I can tell you with certainty that most of them ask for mathematics higher level (usually a 7 or a 6). But again, I am sure you will find universities that require math SL, but I really do not know though if there are any that allow math studies. Now, when you are saying electronics, you mean something like Computer Science or Electronic and Electrical Engineering? Because both of these courses are based on Mathematics and universities will again require Mathematics at a higher level. You still have a whole year to decide though, so again, good luck! :)

• Like 1

haha, you kidding us? it's just like wanting to study Chinese Literature but you cannot speak Chinese.

Electronics (assuming it falls under Engineering) and Econs do require Maths HL so obviously if you apply with Maths Studies you'll be rejected straight away.

so what should you do?

take Maths HL?

NO, you should NOT.

if you have chosen Maths Studies first, I assume you have no confidence in Maths and will not be capable of doing HL Maths. no offence, but it's what the case usually is (well, unless it's the only Maths course your school offers so you have no choice but to take it).

what you should do is to look into other courses you might be interested in, that don't require as much Maths as those two are. for example, Business? it requires Econ HL and at least Maths SL if I'm not mistaken. I have no idea what else to suggest you because I don't know you in the first place, but if you can tell us your subjects maybe we can give you some suggestions.

but still... no matter how good you are at it, if you don't meet the subject requirements it would be difficult. I don't know if all universities would automatically reject applicants that don't meet the subject requirements, but when you submit your UCAS application they'll make you ensure that you meet all their requirements including the subject requirements, so I doubt unis would consider you if you don't take Maths HL.

you should talk to your IB coordinator about your Maths. why did they place you in Studies in the first place? do you not meet some kind of requirement or something?

It's always the total score over the subjects you take if your couse is not a science or math courses. You may check their websites for their minimum requirements! :) www.oxford.edu

:D

what?? where did you hear that from? stop using the word "always", you're generalising and it's wrong!

and Oxford's website is www.ox.ac.uk

Desy, be a bit smoother with BenjoNi. He just joined the forum and asked for help, and you welcomed him with a big slap in the face. To BenjoNi, talk to your IB coordinator, tell him about your ideas of studying abroad, he'll sure be able to deal with your problem. If not, maybe you should consider something smaller before studying abroad, and then maybe, you could access to higher education. :)

• Like 1

It's always the total score over the subjects you take if your couse is not a science or math courses. You may check their websites for their minimum requirements! :) www.oxford.edu

what?? where did you hear that from? stop using the word "always", you're generalising and it's wrong!

and Oxford's website is www.ox.ac.uk

It's the same. When you type oxford.edu, it'll lead you to the site above. (Memory wise, its easier!)

Quote from the Oxford Website: (http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/index.html)

International Baccalaureate

Students of the International Baccalaureate are usually required to achieve a level of performance of 38–40 points, including core points, with 6s and 7s in the higher level subjects.

There you go!

Along with that, there are just some more English Language Requirements et al. Other than that, there aren't any other requirements, except for specific subjects that require huge amounts of Math, such as Math or some science-related courses. You can check this out: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/table.html

For Fine Arts and other courses, the requirements are just recommended, and aren't even required. So, yea. They're quite lenient.

If you are truly interested in pursuing an education in electrical engineering or economics in the UK, then you're next task is to speak with your IB coordinator. I would say, 'I am interested in going to university in the UK and have noticed that many of the colleges I am interested in require higher level (or standard level) of maths. So, I will need to take the appropriate courses, is this possible?'. If he says no, I'm sorry to say that you're chances at UK universities for those courses are very slim. However, keep in mind that US universities are more lenient with subject requirements and do notice the classes your school offers and will understand why you may not have taken said courses, if you're guidance counselor mentions it in her recommendation.

Good luck.

If you are truly interested in pursuing an education in electrical engineering or economics in the UK, then you're next task is to speak with your IB coordinator. I would say, 'I am interested in going to university in the UK and have noticed that many of the colleges I am interested in require higher level (or standard level) of maths. So, I will need to take the appropriate courses, is this possible?'. If he says no, I'm sorry to say that you're chances at UK universities for those courses are very slim. However, keep in mind that US universities are more lenient with subject requirements and do notice the classes your school offers and will understand why you may not have taken said courses, if you're guidance counselor mentions it in her recommendation.

Good luck.

they don't???? that means that I could be in US easier right... hmm.... that should work :) ..... well I'll see idk....I really want to leave Bosnia after high school... and I'd like to go west... so yeah us or uk.... I'd prefer uk but if universities won't accept me then us... I'll see later on... when grades and everything come up I should just email them and see if I could get in right?

they don't???? that means that I could be in US easier right... hmm.... that should work :) ..... well I'll see idk....I really want to leave Bosnia after high school... and I'd like to go west... so yeah us or uk.... I'd prefer uk but if universities won't accept me then us... I'll see later on... when grades and everything come up I should just email them and see if I could get in right?

I think you should first aim to get into the SL class if you want to get into engineering or economics - that's your first priority.

Remember, you can always sit out-of-school exams for maths (such as SAT tests) to prove your ability in maths, when may exempt you from Uni pre-requisites.

Good Luck!

• Like 1