Bilingual language..

intan7

hello...!

i really need your opinion bout this topic..

my teacher asked me to look for somebody that know

bilingual or more language and ask them a few question..

so, i do really hope that all of you can lend me your hand..

1. how did you learn your second language? what were the best techniques for you?

2. what do you understand by the term bilingual?

3. in which country are people mainly bilingual?

4. who are the important people that will help a child develop bilingualism?

5. "don't speak a language in front of people who don't understand it." what is your opinion over this fundamental principle of language etiquette?

6. how is one identity affected by being a bilingual?

7. what area of live will be affected by being a bilingual?

8. what are the advantages & disadvantages of being a bilingual?

i do really hope that you can give your opinion bout the above question.. you don't need to answer all..

just answer any question that you like..XD

~thanks!

Edited by Summer Glau
please don't use text speak. thanks!

firstly let me just say that my first language is Indonesian and my second language is English.

1. how did you learn your second language? what were the best techniques for you?

I learnt English as a second language at school ever since I was in primary. I also took an English course from when I was in grade 2 till when I was in grade 6 or so... then I moved to an international school from grade 10 till present. the best technique for me is conversing with native speakers.

2. what do you understand by the term bilingual?

two languages

3. in which country are people mainly bilingual?

I think Canada: French and English, India: English and their Indian language, and Hong Kong: Chinese and English

4. who are the important people that will help a child develop bilingualism?

parents, teachers, the people around them (friends, neighbours, even online friends). tbh I've learnt quite a lot of vocabularies from online friends too.

5. "don't speak a language in front of people who don't understand it." what is your opinion over this fundamental principle of language etiquette?

I think this is wrong... I mean if it was "don't speak a language TO people who don't understand it" then I will agree because that way knowledge (or the message, whatever) can't be conveyed unless using body language or whatever...but speaking a language in front of people who don't understand it is okay as long as you speak to somebody else (not those people) then it actually might intrigue those people to learn that particular language because they're interested to understand you.

6. how is one identity affected by being a bilingual?

not sure

7. what area of live will be affected by being a bilingual?

area of life btw. the friends (one will be able to make more friends since there's now less language barriers), and the knowledge (can now read books/websites not written in their first language. well there is google translate but still, not many people would actually translate a whole book/website just to acquire knowledge from it.)

8. what are the advantages & disadvantages of being a bilingual?

advantages:

can

make more friends, can acquire more knowledge

disadvantages:

might leave their native language, might be confused with the grammar in the two languages, might confuse the meaning of some words