I've screwed up my first couple quizzes? Math SL

Prowess

It certainly will not! Your grade is based on three components: Paper 1, Paper 2, and your IA. Your quizzes aren't a part of that. What they're there for is to test you on concepts that will be on your exam and show you your weaknesses and what you might need to go back and study. On my first quiz in SL math, I got like a 60/100 as my grade XD. But I learned how to effectively learn math (rather than just memorizing concepts), practiced what I was weak in (I still don't get vectors though :P), and learned from my first few quizzes, and ended up with a 6. You can do the same if you use your quizzes as a learning tool and start your improvement from there. :)

• Like 2

It depends on how badly you did :P But like emyski said, it won't screw up your chances of getting a 7 if you learn from it. Go over the quizzes again and make sure you can do the questions on it. If you can't, ask your teacher to see the solutions.

The best way to get a 7 overall is to practice past paper questions (ask your teacher for them or search Google) and practice areas where you are weak. Also, put time and effort into your portfolios so that you get a good grade. This way, at least if you don't do as well in the exams as you hoped, you have something to keep your mark up.

To make you feel better, 80% is not a screw up LOL... the course conversion for a 7 was an 82% in my year.

I failed a bunch of calculus tests... it didn't stop me getting a 7, so don't worry!

I think the portfolios are worth 20 or 24%, I'm not sure... and the exam is worth around 80%, so your course mark will not contribute the your final mark, it only contributes to your predicted grade :P

I was predicted at a 6, had a mark of 76% as a final mark before the exam, my portfolios were at a 6....

Just ace the exam and get that 7.

to your first question, if you don't do anything about it then of course you'll fail your maths, but if you're willing to work harder and keep practising, there's a way to a 6 or a 7.

to your second question, no. they will look at your predictions and give conditional offers, meaning they want you to get X in the real IB score, where X might be higher than, lower than or equal to your prediction. if you can successfully achieve that X, you'll be accepted.

If you're working on getting that 7 for your predicted grade, then I would work hard on the quizzes.

If you're just working for a 7 overall, it will NOT screw that up. Trust me. I actually failed 3 of my math tests and did somewhat okay on another 2 and then did really well on the probability one (easiest unit for me :P). And guess what, I ended up with a 7 in SL Math! Honestly, for me my teacher was so bad that she didn't even teach and I just neglected all her tests and just worked my butt off on the math IA's and the exams. I got a 6 on my Math IA's and I guess I did well enough on the exam to get an overall 7.

So don't worry unless you're getting predicted grades for uni. Just make sure you try as hard as you can to understand the material in class and come exam time, you'll be less stressed. Don't take my route and basically learn SL Math in one month. Do bit by bit each day and if you really feel like you're struggling, do some extra practice questions or talk to your teacher. Work hard on your Math IA's and your exam and trust me, you'll do absolutely fine :)

• Like 1