How do you prepare for SATs?

likeawind24

38 members have voted

1. 1. Have you taken SATs before?

• Yes, and I will take it again.
    • Yes, but I won't take it again.
    • No, but I will take it some day.
    • No, and I won't take it in the future.

3 simple questions!

1. How long do you prepare for the SAT?

(e.g. a month before the exam, etc...)

2. What kind of resources do you use in order to prepare for the SAT?

(e.g. princeton books, etc...)

3. How often do you study for the SAT until the exam date?

(e.g. twice a week for two hours each, etc....)

1. Honestly, I didn't really ever 'prepare' for SAT ( which I took a week ago). However, I subscribed to the official SAT question of the day all the way back in April( my college counsellor made me :blum: ). You can do the same here, just sign up :). I recommend you to practise full tests (several of them in the month before your exam) to get in the habit of sitting in the place for 3+ hours straight. Once you have a centre, I'd recommend you to simulate centre conditions ( ask your friends who've already taken a test there : does it have an air conditioner? ( I'm saying because mine didn't) If it's at a school, will there be little children screaming outside? It makes a difference)

2. I used the classic Barron's book.. the questions are alright, they have practise tests which you can use. The syllabus isn't hard, so there isn't a topic which you'll have to STUDY for, but time per question is limited and you REALLY can't afford to waste time reading the instructions. So I recommend get yourself any SAT book, they'll have sections for each part of the SAT. Also, read up the 'exam tips' section... it helps.

3. And I can't answer that, because I hardly studied... but let's say I did 5 - 8 practise tests the week before the actual thing, I should have spent about 20-40 hours.. But otherwise, no.

One advice: Don't spend too long planning the essay. Instead, just have a rough outline in your head, and write as much as you can, don't try to be concise. A secret : longer essays are scored higher than shorter ones, so if you have two pages of content, a few words from the SAT wordlist and some sense of structure, you'll do good :)

(e.g. a month before the exam, etc...)

Night before.

(e.g. princeton books, etc...)

CollegeBoard site practice test.

(e.g. twice a week for two hours each, etc....)

4ish hours night before.

1. I started studying two weeks before the SAT. But it was really sporadic because some nights I had too much homework to study.

2. I used the collegeboard site. I did a full-length practice exam on there, but not all in one sitting. Then the night before I found some SAT vocabulary sites where you can play a matching game to learn words.

3. Maybe perhaps an hour each time I did study. Maybe 7 hours. I didn't study as much because when I took the SAT on the first, it was actually my second time taking it so I was already used to the time constraints, question style, etc.

I don't think you can really "study" for the SAT. It's kind of like either you know how to do it or not. Of course it's good to learn SAT vocabulary, since I can't really remember the last time I used words like penultimate or obdurate in my daily conversations, but don't kill yourself trying to learn area formulas or how to analyze passages. If you're taking an SAT you probably should already know that, and the math sections aren't hard for anyone who's at least taken SL math.

1. I studied for about 2 months.

2. I used Kaplan books and practised like 10 papers.

3. About an hour a day.

If you REALLY want a score better than 2000+ then your gonna REALLY have to put in effort.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I''m attendng a SAT prep class every Sunday (1,5h English and 1,5h Math)

College Board book and what my teacher gives me

I have class once a week but I have to study so about every other day?