Creative... CAS?

I am in IB Year 1 and we just started working on CAS stuff and I get how to get action and service hours, but how can I attain creative hours? I mean I am interested in photography and acting and movie-making, so where could I go with this to get creative hours. And also in terms of action hours, am I supposed to hit the gym, go for runs or take dance classes? I don't know what to do and I really need help!

Thanks so much

Rithu

Most of my creativity hours come from extra theatrical pursuits, so yes- activities like photography and acting would count as creativity hours. Now, on your other issue of action, find an activity that you like and do it. Yes, the gym, running, and dancing will count as action hours. However, remember that you will need a supervisor, and it might be hard to find someone to act as your supervisor for running.

For creativity, you could make posters to promote a cause, write a poem, sing a song, learn something new. If you are interested in photography and movie making, I suppose just looking up programs and being an active part of them.

You could do any of what you said for action.

Remember that your CAS activities can have 1 or more of the 3 components. And you must have a supervisor.

Most Creative CAS credits are involved with the arts, and this can be a huge problem for people who suck at art, like myself.

Your options may be...

1) Take musical or art lessons, any of them, and have your teacher be the supervisor. (I did singing lessons outside of school)

2) Get involved in school stage productions like the backstage of a play.

3) Some non-art clubs also provide Creative CAS! MUN and Debate are the two major ones though, I don't know anything other than these two. I got most of my Creative credit from MUN :D

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in IB Year 1 and we just started working on CAS stuff and I get how to get action and service hours, but how can I attain creative hours? I mean I am interested in photography and acting and movie-making, so where could I go with this to get creative hours. And also in terms of action hours, am I supposed to hit the gym, go for runs or take dance classes? I don't know what to do and I really need help!

Thanks so much

Rithu

Well, I am by no means an expert on the subject but this is what I have been told/doing in regards to CAS and it seems to be acceptable. According my IB coordinator they have changed the rules for CAS quite a bit in that there is less focus on hours and more on larger projects and what you are getting out of it. However, hours on a small scale are still important even if they don't have to be recorded per-say. In terms of what you should do, the creativity portion of the project is more than just taking lessons or doing creative things, it involves sharing what you have done and/or teaching others about it or how to do it. Initially I was a bit confused about this as well, so I asked my teacher about it. She explained that things like participating in a school play, holding an art exhibition of your own creation, participating in a dance or musical recital, being in your school band can all count towards creativity "hours". However, it should be noted that the closer to your larger, overarching, 18-month project, the better.

The same goes for action hours, just running or taking a class doesn't really cut it as it "doesn't demonstrate what it means to be an IB learner". Doing things like assistant coaching, leadership, teaching on a volunteer basis are more of what they are looking for. You don't have to be a star athlete, you just have to be involved and show that you are a leader that fulfills the IB learner profile. Volunteering at a local community centre, camp or a grade school can be a great way to get hours. At my school we even have the opportunity to go to a camp to be activity leaders for all of the 8th grade classes in the area, which overall counted for 72 hours.

Really though, you don't have to run yourself ragged trying to do everything, 1-2 continual activities in each is good enough (especially with all that homework on top of it all). My advice is to do what you can and want to do so that you successfully meet the requirements. CAS is not graded on a scale, so doing more will not really affect your mark in terms of the IB. That being said, as long as you do something, even the minimum, you should be good.

Hope this helps! :)

• 2 months later...

Any creativity ideas for a non-creative person?

Do some creative stuff.

There's a difference between non creative and lazy. Try joining some debating societies or literary societies. There's a lot you can do

You could even ask your school if you could create revision booklets for people in the lower year in preparation for the IB.

Any creativity ideas for a non-creative person?

Read the above thread! If you get really desperate, just sign up for lessons in something. Music, drama, art, anything. You don't have to be good at it or enjoy it if you really are the least creative person in the whole world, you just have to do it.