Effect of pH on the oxidizing power/capacity of potassium permanganate

Bella Y

Hi! I will like to know if pH has an effect on the oxidizing power of potassium permanganate. That is basically what my EE is about and I'll like to know if it really has an effect before i do the experiment.Thank you

If you go to Table 14 of the chemistry data book, near the bottom you will find the equation for the oxidation and reduction of MnO4- to Mn2+ and vice versa. You will see that H+ are involved in the process, thus it should be obvious that the higher the pH of the solution the higher [H+] which will then increase the rate of the forward reaction.

Here is an interesting page you might like to have a look at, it talks about potassium permanganate in both acidic and alkaline conditions; something more indepth which is what your research question needs: http://www.ehow.com/way_5638189_potassium-permanganate-lower-ph_.html

Hi! I will like to know if pH has an effect on the oxidizing power of potassium permanganate. That is basically what my EE is about and I'll like to know if it really has an effect before i do the experiment.Thank you

If you go to Table 14 of the chemistry data book, near the bottom you will find the equation for the oxidation and reduction of MnO4- to Mn2+ and vice versa. You will see that H+ are involved in the process, thus it should be obvious that the higher the pH of the solution the higher [H+] which will then increase the rate of the forward reaction.

Here is an interesting page you might like to have a look at, it talks about potassium permanganate in both acidic and alkaline conditions; something more indepth which is what your research question needs: http://www.ehow.com/way_5638189_potassium-permanganate-lower-ph_.html

Thank you so much for your help, and one more thing if you don't mind, I was planning to use both spectrophotometer (to measure the absorbance of Mn 2+ produced) and pH probe connected to a computer to measure the pressure of the 02 produced(I'll be reacting Mno4- + H+ + H202)so what do you think? plus I have no idea how to control the time when it comes to the spectrophotometer,..thank u again :)

Edited by Jessica10