I don't understand the IB marking scheme?

thebest

Ok so. Im in my first year of the IB diploma program. This grade, I am taking : Chem HL, Math SL, Eng HL, French SL, Bio SL, Philosophy/or tok im not sure which one?

In grade 11, the only IB exams that I will be taking in May is for math and french (rest in grade 12). But I don't understand the marking scheme at all....

Like, for example, in math, everyone is saying that the term work (quizes, tests) do not really affect the overall IB grade out of 7 at all???.. So basically, if you are good at math, you can fool around the whole year, and just get like a perfect on the IB exam, and the portfolios and you'll still get a 7? What my course information sheet says for math is that: 70% = exam, 20% = IAs, and 10% = term work. So how is it that the term work does not affect your final IB grade at all?

Also, since I live in Canada, Ontario, I'm wondering how IB marks are CONVERTED into Ontario/ordinary marks. Like, is it just my final IB mark converted into a percentage? Or do IB exams not count toward my Ontario grades? OR, is it that everything I do in the term + the IB grades account for my final Ontario grades?

I would also like to know how these IB grades work in other subjects as well....Because so far I've only heard about this for math, nothing else.

Ok so. Im in my first year of the IB diploma program. This grade, I am taking : Chem HL, Math SL, Eng HL, French SL, Bio SL, Philosophy/or tok im not sure which one?

In grade 11, the only IB exams that I will be taking in May is for math and french (rest in grade 12). But I don't understand the marking scheme at all....

Like, for example, in math, everyone is saying that the term work (quizes, tests) do not really affect the overall IB grade out of 7 at all???.. So basically, if you are good at math, you can fool around the whole year, and just get like a perfect on the IB exam, and the portfolios and you'll still get a 7? What my course information sheet says for math is that: 70% = exam, 20% = IAs, and 10% = term work. So how is it that the term work does not affect your final IB grade at all?

Also, since I live in Canada, Ontario, I'm wondering how IB marks are CONVERTED into Ontario/ordinary marks. Like, is it just my final IB mark converted into a percentage? Or do IB exams not count toward my Ontario grades? OR, is it that everything I do in the term + the IB grades account for my final Ontario grades?

I would also like to know how these IB grades work in other subjects as well....Because so far I've only heard about this for math, nothing else.

Your IB grade only takes into account your Exam and your internal assessments. so your external assessment, your exam is actually 80% and your IA's are 20%

http://www.education.umd.edu/MathEd/conference/vbook/math.sl.08.pdf

look at the last pages. :)

and i would advise to pay attention in class, fooling around will not help with the exam. and make sure u do your IA's well because my STUPID teacher said not to worry about it, and i ended up getting a 6 in math SL when i should have gotten a 7, all because of the IA's he never told us how to format it, and i lost a point! lol, good luck :)

um maybe your teacher gives your term marks based on 70-20-10 scheme he uses.

But the actual Ib mark (out of 7) is 20% IA and 80% on papers.

So, yes you could technically screw around and do well on your IA and papers and get a 7.

These marks work like this for all subjects, although you might not want to slack in grade 12, because your coursework determines your predicted mark.

I believe sciences is 24% ia (LABS), English is 50% IA(IOP, IOC), french SL 30% IA (orals)

what is your 6th subject?

your teacher is the one who gives you your ontario mark, IB has nothing to do with it. However, some universities may convert a 7 to a 96% or a 6 to a 90%.

maybe your school produces internal reports too? like mine. so in our internal reports all our exams, IAs, classwork, homework are all counted towards the mark with some %age that I can't remember, might be similar to yours. but the real grades given by the IB will be different because your papers are sent off to them and they made the questions and in the real IB grade only your exams and IAs are counted towards the final mark. so all your classwork and homework are only counted towards the grade your school gives to you in your school internal report.

I'm in the Ontario system as well, and in my school, it varies from teacher to teacher. My HL Chem teacher takes all assigned homework, assignments, etc. and puts them into our OSSD mark, while only our IA and EA count for IB. Ask your teacher the 'does this count for marks' question, and I'm sure you'll get an answer. It's also translated that your final evaluations are only worth 30% for OSSD (while it can be worth over 70% in IB), and everything else is worth 70%, usually.