Biology SL textbook

thebest

My school gives us really bad nelson textbooks for bio, so I was gonna buy a Pearson Baccalaureate textbook for Bio. I am currently taking Bio SL, but should I buy the Bio HL textbook since it might include more in depth explanations and content that could be beneficial to me? After all, I think biology will be my major in the future ... Plus my soon to be bio teacher next sem mentioned to me that altho our course is SL, she likes to go so indepth that it is almost like an HL course.

My school gives us really bad nelson textbooks for bio, so I was gonna buy a Pearson Baccalaureate textbook for Bio. I am currently taking Bio SL, but should I buy the Bio HL textbook since it might include more in depth explanations and content that could be beneficial to me? After all, I think biology will be my major in the future ... Plus my soon to be bio teacher next sem mentioned to me that altho our course is SL, she likes to go so indepth that it is almost like an HL course.

if you are in the IB program, by the end of ur 1st year you will realize reading an HL book for an SL class is a mistake. having so much on your hands, you dont want more work. my school gave us the http://books.google.com/books/about/Biology_for_the_IB_Diploma.html?id=lRLaPAAACAAJ

biology book in the link. its pretty good, and explains well for an SL level. It gives the necessary info without the extra fluff. i would recommend buying a better SL book rather than an HL book. i understand about wanting to major in Bio. i felt the same about math, and my school only offer SL math, but i ended up doing an EE in math to make up for it. I recommend u get the basics in high school and worry about the in depth stuff in college courses. :)

good luck

Buy this book -->

http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Course-Companion-International-Baccalaureate/dp/0199151458

...because it's the best Biology textbook :P

Then don't learn anything extra for fun unless you genuinely do find it fun, is my advice. Make sure you're very clear on what you do and don't have to know because otherwise you'll get to exam time and be crazy overloaded as Biology contains so much memorising. Use the syllabus! Print out a copy and highlight it religiously. By all means go more 'in depth' or whatever you want, but just don't lose sight of the big red line where SL ends and HL begins.

The textbook I mentioned has quite clear divisions between SL and HL stuff, which is very handy. Your Biology teacher may be mildly mistaken in using the phrase 'in depth' because I can only think of 1 or 2 topics where the HL addition genuinely involves more intense explanation as opposed to just extra information. Photosynthesis and respiration are the ones that spring to mind - and to be honest, I don't think I'd want to learn all the HL details unless I had to!

Ok. thank you :) But is the course companion by oxford really the best option for IB textbooks? I heard REALLY good things about the Pearson Baccleaureate Chemistry tb on this forum and i was thinking of buying one for bio as well... Gotta be sure cuz these things are so pricy!