EE History

Rimsha Zareen

It's up to you to come up with your topic!

However, you can do several things with the concentration or internment camps. You could assess the conditions there, reasons for internment, why the Nazis justified them/Americans put the Japanese in them, their importance to a certain factor, or how successful they were to an overall goal (how successful were the Japanese internment camps at preventing ________? for example.

I'm not going to lie, your topics are a little generic. Maybe you can do Japanese internment in Canada specifically and how they were treated? Or compare the Japanese internment between America and Canada? Think about where you want to focus first and then post your topic, you'll get better responses :)

hi, I'm a grade 11 IB student looking for some help on the EE.

I would like to work on a history topic, preferably from WW2 and the Nazi concentration and Japanese internment camps. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi,

Since you are Canadian I thought you might be interested in this. I did my EE on the Battle of Hong Kong, 1945 and analysed whether the defence of the island was justified in the first place. In a very simplified view on the issue, two Canadian battalions were basically sent to Hong Kong a month prior to the start of the Pacific War and were brutally defeated by the Japanese; they didn't stand a chance, so why were they sent? Many Canadian historians have written on the issue and blamed the British for their lack of strategy; however it is a very complex issue.

The topics you could research could explore why the Candian troops were sent, the course of the battle, the treatment of Canadian troops after the battle in Japanese concentration camps ect.

Here is just some general info that might get you interested in the topic:

In 1940 the British regarded their crown colony of Hong Kong and its 20 000-man garrison as expendable in the event of war with Japan and decided against reinforcing it. But in September 1941 the Canadian government agreed to send the Royal Rifles of Canada (a Québec unit) and the Winnipeg Grenadiers, although they were not considered fit for action. They arrived on 16 November 1941 and 22 days later the Japanese attacked the colony's New Territories on the mainland. On December 18 the Japanese crossed to the island of Hong Kong and on Christmas Day the governor surrendered. Of 1975 Canadians, 557 were killed or died in prison camps. Political pressure at home forced the Canadian government to appoint a royal commission to investigate the circumstances of Canada's involvement. The sole commissioner, Chief Justice Sir Lyman DUFF, misinterpreted or ignored evidence and exonerated the Cabinet, the Department of National Defence and senior members of the General Staff. In 1948 a confidential analysis by General Charles FOULKES, chief of the general staff, found many errors in Duff's assessment, but concluded that proper training and equipment would have made little difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hong_Kong

http://susanna-mcleod.suite101.com/canadians-in-the-battle-of-hong-kong-a140123

*This topic will require quite a bit of research as only a handful of books have been written on the subject: Tony Banham, Philip Snow, Brereton Greenhous, Carl Vincent ect.

If I were you I would look into Keel's ideas on battles in Hong Kong and so on. You current ideas on WW2 and Nazi Germany are generic to the extreme. Especially since you don't even have a topic in mind, it's painfully clear that you're just choosing a topic area that came first to your mind and you found remotely interesting from your History syllabus. Broaden your horizons and look into different aspects of history, you'd be surprise dhow many differing ideas and situations you will find fascinating.

Arrowhead.

thanks so much guys! but since we are mainly learning history of the America's I would like to write something related to America.

After reading all the comments I've decided not two write about the camps. I'd like to write about the Cold War and how it linked to McCarthyism.

To what extent did the Cold War provoke McCarthyism to occur?

obviously this isnt my final question, but it's my base and i can work up.

what do you guys thinks?

• 2 weeks later...