Study Strategies

I've got the same problem and recently started to fall behind on work: I'm in the middle of making a timetable to figure out how much time to put aside to do work, instead of trying to figure it all out through guesswork. You can find plenty of different timetables online; I'm using one on www.getrevising.com which I used for my GCSEs, and I've found that it has an IB section.

Edit: The IB section of the timetable doesn't work very well, so if anyone can find a better timetable that would be great.

Edited by Mozz

I bet I've seen a similar thread before, though I can't remember the title.

I personally don't study unless there's a test or an exam. once I get home, I slack for an hour or two, take a bath, eat and do homework till bedtime.

to study for exams, I usually make a timetable of what to study on what day, from what time to what time, stuff like that but in the end I still don't follow the timetable strictly hehe but at least it helps me so I know what to study next, something like that.

for homework I also make a timetable, on a certain day what homework is due and what tests I will have. I update it daily.

the timetables I make are excel tables which I put in my desktop so I can access them easily and change them easily too.

I'd say plan. Keep a timetable/agenda etc and just always know how much work you have left, what work you want to do when etc. Know your deadlines so you'll never be working last-minute!

It really is all about staying organized. And also try and study efficiently - study what you don't know and what you think you're weak at.

Then of course, reward yourself! Once you have some motivation, it'll be easier.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'd say plan. Keep a timetable/agenda etc and just always know how much work you have left, what work you want to do when etc. Know your deadlines so you'll never be working last-minute!

It really is all about staying organized. And also try and study efficiently - study what you don't know and what you think you're weak at.

Then of course, reward yourself! Once you have some motivation, it'll be easier.

Good luck!

Nice tip, thank you as well!

Also, trying to read ahead helps you as well...duuh XD

Well I don't study right when I get home because I feel like I do, I won't get nearly as much done because I'm not focused. No matter how much work I have, I always take an hour to just chill, eat, take a shower and then I'll do whatever homework I have.

For tests, I always start studying 4-5 days earlier. I always make a schedule on what topics I want to study for each day. This definitely motivates me to keep on track and to keep studying. Very, very helpful.

For exams I always start studying 3-4 weeks earlier and again, I make a schedule. Honestly, I'm so efficient BECAUSE of the schedule. It's godly :P I try my hardest to not put anything to the last minute because it always ends up being crap and I get upset and I lose sleep. So with a schedule, I prevent that from happening.

Everyone's studying styles are different but one the best ways to stay on track is using your agenda or calendar and PLAN what you want to study before you actually start studying.

Sticker chart. With awesome stickers.

No joke, I discovered this earlier on in the year and intend to never look back. Food, films, exercise, tea breaks, chocolate and naps all failed to work as rewards for me -- but a sticker chart? Bizarrely motivational.

YES. I don't know what it is with stickers but they are seriously motivational! At the beginning of math class every day, my math teacher would give us a math question to do, and when you had worked out the correct answer you would get a sticker. It actually made people excited and it motivated us to figure out the answers.

:D

• 5 weeks later...

definitely don't wait until last minute,

take time off a few times a week to exercise (it helps me relieve stress and memorize information more easily once I return, and refreshes my body)

I take notes in class, refine them at home on the same day, and during the weekend I accumulate all of the notes taken in the class during the week and make cue cards

Sticker chart. With awesome stickers.

No joke, I discovered this earlier on in the year and intend to never look back. Food, films, exercise, tea breaks, chocolate and naps all failed to work as rewards for me -- but a sticker chart? Bizarrely motivational.

I have actually started doing that after I read this, and it's amazing how motivational it is!!