English EE Unreliable Narrator

KMoche

I haven't even started my EE yet.

Obviously this is a huge problem.

I've gone through a number of topics, none of which have worked.

Now, I am looking at a compare and contrast English A1 essay.

I want to write about unreliable narrators.

I have one novel, Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.

Can anyone recommend another novel with an unreliable narrator, preferably a female narrator?

Or, is unreliable narrator a terrible topic?

Help, please!

Well if you can find enough evidence for why the narrator is unreliable/reliable, then it would be okay. You'd also have to be a bit more sophisticated and discuss whether both narrators are unreliable due to the same reasons, which would be harder than just stating the different reasons of course.

I can't really think of much right now, but I do remember that when I read the Great Gatsby two years ago, my teacher just kept going on and on about how the narrator, Nick, was unreliable. He starts the book saying he doesn't make judgements and then spends the entire book making judgements, for example. So maybe look into the Great Gatsby? You could also discuss it with your supervisor/english teacher and see which books they recommend.

As for your time problem, I'd recommend you choose that second book ASAP, read and annotate both books keeping "unreliable narrator" in mind, draw up a list of similarities/differences and reasons why the narrators are unreliable and also a list of quotes as evidence (WITH PAGE NUMBERS) and then begin writing, which shouldn't take too long if you've got your plans in front of you.

Good luck! :)

Well if you can find enough evidence for why the narrator is unreliable/reliable, then it would be okay. You'd also have to be a bit more sophisticated and discuss whether both narrators are unreliable due to the same reasons, which would be harder than just stating the different reasons of course.

I can't really think of much right now, but I do remember that when I read the Great Gatsby two years ago, my teacher just kept going on and on about how the narrator, Nick, was unreliable. He starts the book saying he doesn't make judgements and then spends the entire book making judgements, for example. So maybe look into the Great Gatsby? You could also discuss it with your supervisor/english teacher and see which books they recommend.

As for your time problem, I'd recommend you choose that second book ASAP, read and annotate both books keeping "unreliable narrator" in mind, draw up a list of similarities/differences and reasons why the narrators are unreliable and also a list of quotes as evidence (WITH PAGE NUMBERS) and then begin writing, which shouldn't take too long if you've got your plans in front of you.

Good luck! :)

Thanks!

Discussing the differing causes is an awesome idea!

Unfortunately, I studied Gastby as one of my novels so I can't do it :(

I was looking into The Turn of the Screw. Does anyone know about that one?