Are my choices ok?

spereira14

I'm less than a month away from having to choose my IB subjects for next year, my family and friends are already exhausted from listening to my IB dilemmas, so I decided to see what you guys thought!

English A1 HL

Spanish A1 HL

Maths SL

Chemistry SL

Business HL

Computer Science SL

I'm also planning to take a seventh subjects which could be either french (don't wanna lose the knowledge) or theatre (general interest)

I also dont know whether to do business or computer science HL...

Aaand I'm torn between Biology (easier) or chemistry (more applyable for the future)

THANKS IN ADVANCE AND SORRY FOR ALL THE DOUBTS!

btw I'm a fairly good student, surely top ten (maybe five) out of 110 students

What do you want to study in the future? That will help you with your course selection. Biology is the easier of the two sciences you listed , but if you like chemistry it's not impossible to do well.

If you want to go into business or something like that I would swap business for economics. Although it seems obvious to take business it's not regarded very highly in IB and by universities. Economics, on the other hand, is. Is it possible to do that?

I guess your subject combination is manageable. For me, the languages were the ones which demanded less study. What you really need to know is how to develop an argument and how to critically analyze literature, that´s all about A1. You plan to take 2 languages A1 at HL so you´ll be fine.

If you want to go for management I´d suggest as well that you take economics HL as it is more well regarded than business and management. Computer science SL seems fair enough as it is somehow related to engineering as well as management.

You should take definately mathematics HL is you plan to go to engineering or management, it is a bonus point.

Biology SL is the easiest science as it only requires memory. Physics is pure numerical and easy to get high grades in (especially at SL) and chemistry is a balance between the two. My advice is that you go for physics SL or chemistry SL as you might go for engineering.

And I´m not sure about taking a 7th IB subject, unis won´t care much and you´ll overcharge yourself in vane. Maybe you can go for 4 HL subjects.

So, to make the story short, my advice is that you take the following subjects:

English A1 HL

Spanish A1 HL

Economics HL

Chemistry SL/Physics SL

Computer Science SL

Mathematics HL

You´ll be superfine. Good luck. :)

Edited by bigbangfan

Management and Engineering...

Mathematics HL

Economics HL

Physics HL

Computer Science or Business SL

Language A SL

Language A or B SL

the level of the languages is totally up to you since it doesn't really matter for those courses.

I suggest taking Physics rather than Computer Science at HL. for Engineering the requirement is usually Maths HL and Physics HL, or Maths HL and any Science HL. Physics will help you in Engineering a lot more than Comp Sci will, though. you'll end up studying a lot of Physics there anyway so why not take it in IB so you at least have some background?

any query just ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx for all the answers guys! I've realized in the last couple of days that I shouldn't base my subjects on what I feel I will study in the future, but on what interests me and what I like.

I'm not as passionate on economics or physics, so I porobably wont do them, and if that doesnt help me get in, too bad, then it wasn't meant to be...

I've decided to study English A1 HL, Spanish HL (the latter two are mandatory at my school), Chemistry SL, Computer Science SL, Business HL, Maths SL, and I'll do theater as my seventh subject because it really interests me, and I know the arts wont be a part of my life once I grow up.

I know many of you will probably think this is stupid and childish, but I guess what I really want to get out of the IB, is to discover what I like, and fulfill my educational needs as a person.

Thanx for all the answers guys! I've realized in the last couple of days that I shouldn't base my subjects on what I feel I will study in the future, but on what interests me and what I like.

I'm not as passionate on economics or physics, so I porobably wont do them, and if that doesnt help me get in, too bad, then it wasn't meant to be...

I've decided to study English A1 HL, Spanish HL (the latter two are mandatory at my school), Chemistry SL, Computer Science SL, Business HL, Maths SL, and I'll do theater as my seventh subject because it really interests me, and I know the arts wont be a part of my life once I grow up.

I know many of you will probably think this is stupid and childish, but I guess what I really want to get out of the IB, is to discover what I like, and fulfill my educational needs as a person.

I think that's the smart choice. Follow your passion sir.

I think that's the smart choice. Follow your passion sir.

THANX!! I just hope I'm doing the right thing, I guess things wont be certain until I turn in the paper with my choices :P less than a month to go!

Hey guys! So I'm a few days away from picking my IB subjects for next year (soo excited!I just finished my IGCSEs today) and I'm almost all set, but I have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that maybe my choices are just too much?

So I was planning this:

English A1 HL (HL mandatory)

Spanish A1 HL (mandatory)

Maths SL

Chemistry or Physics SL

Business and Management (either HL or SL, my favourite)

Computer Science (either HL or SL, depends on B&M)

And as a 7th subject I was planning Economics SL

Thanks in advance guys!

Your subject choices are fine, in fact they're a little soft tbh. You can handle it just fine. English HL and Spanish HL are easy enough, Maths SL is fine if you are good at Maths to some extent, Chemistry or Physics at SL is manageable no matter whichever one you pick, B&M is a trite course so it shouldn't be a bother, Economics HL is relatively simple, SL is even simpler. Chill out, it's all very manageable.

Taking two A1 HLs may be challenging. Are you taking the Lit or the Lang/Lit option for English and Spanish? You can take one Lang/Lit and one Lit or take one Lit and drop one language down to B level if it's too much. Math SL...it depends on how much math you did before IB and how good you are at it. If you're not good at it you can work hard and still get a good grade. Chemistry SL is like a really watered down version of HL so it's not bad at all. I don't know much about physics SL to be honest but it's at SL so I doubt it's as demanding as HL. Economics SL is easy but not that interesting I found. But that depends on you. B&M is sometimes seen as a soft subject by unis. Computer science I'm not too sure about.

I'd definitely like to do something related with Business/Finance so B&M and Economics sounds like a good combo, I just hope the school allows me to do economics as a 7th (will probably fight them on that one)

I'd also like to keep my options open, maybe I do like programming and Chemistry/Physics, and the two Language Hls are mandatory, and I think I should do A1, A2 would just be like caving in lol

I Think you covered your subjects pretty well. In case you want to go for engineering you have chemistry and maths SL, or Management You have Business, and you'll find taking 2 languages at HL is easier than taking 2 sciences at HL, so if you do the work you should well

Edited by Summer Glau
please don't use text speak. thanks!

Hello, fellow IBers! :D Currently, I am taking:

Biology HL

History HL

Math HL

English A Lit HL

Economics SL

Chinese B SL

I'm thinking of going for either law or bio-related science major for university. I'm still not sure....

1. Would universities accept me for science major even if I chose only one group 3 subject?

2. Are my subjects rigorous, or are they doable?

Do you think my subjects are too ambitious? Because, for my first unofficial progress reportcard I got 5s and 6s on my HL subjects and 4s on my SL subjects. They were pretty crappy and I was quite surprised. My average dropped immensely from...before I started IB. lol. Is there anyone takin 4 HLs, or facing similar problem?

Edited by flowerly

I don't think you'd need HL Math for a bio related major but I'm not sure. Either way, I think doing 4 HLs is pretty intense and especially with HL Math added in there. I'm taking SL but it's a mixed class with HL students and my math teacher is constantly telling us that she's surprised that so many people choose to do Math HL since it's such a challenging course. I think having Bio, English, and History at HL is good enough so if I were you I'd drop down to SL Math, just to make it a little easier on yourself.