Which HL to take?

Matt*

Hey, IB Junior here.

I am thinking about which classes to take as my 3 HL classes for the IB program. English 3 HL is a required HL at my school and I was thinking Spanish 4 HL (my best class) and then either Economics HL or ITGS HL. I am interested in majoring in business and I like Economics 1 so i think it would be a good choice, but I feel like it could get really confusing in HL. Also my ITGS teacher said that HL ITGS is very similar to the SL course and the only difference in the class is some added material on the exams and an extra paper (dont know if this is correct, please verify). I dont want to take the harder HL classes because I already have to stay up all night and Im still only in the 1st quarter lol, so which HL class out of ITGS and Economics should I choose; and if you guys could tell me about the difficulty of each HL course that would be great! Thanks :)

Edited by Matt*

Economics HL is easy, even for newbies! I feel that most of the Econ concepts are common sense and are very very easy to understand. you can't go into Business with ITGS HL only I don't think, so go with Econ. but actually sometimes Maths HL is required/recommended, so try to take it, but if you can't, just try to get your 7 in Maths SL.

Also my ITGS teacher said that HL ITGS is very similar to the SL course and the only difference in the class is some added material on the exams and an extra paper

isn't it like that in all subjects? some added material and an extra paper lol

Economics HL is easy, even for newbies! I feel that most of the Econ concepts are common sense and are very very easy to understand. you can't go into Business with ITGS HL only I don't think, so go with Econ. but actually sometimes Maths HL is required/recommended, so try to take it, but if you can't, just try to get your 7 in Maths SL.

Also my ITGS teacher said that HL ITGS is very similar to the SL course and the only difference in the class is some added material on the exams and an extra paper

isn't it like that in all subjects? some added material and an extra paper lol

I second economics

Thanks for the quick replies! And the ITGS teacher was stressing how similar that the SL and HL courses were, thats what I meant to say lol. By the way, how is Spanish HL compared to SL?

Taking the IB Course will also be better since this can help you get your diploma! :D Are you planning to get it? :D If yes, then, better take the IB course! :D

yes im in the ib program already but I just wasnt sure what spanish I was in (a or b) because I was never told lol

• 4 weeks later...

IB Economics HL really isn't that hard, Most of the concepts are common sense and to pass the subject you just have to review the material and study for a reasonable amount of time. Statistically, IB Economics is way easier than ITGS HL. ITGS can get really boring and tedious at times, having said that, Economics is surely a better choice.