Language B self taught

Eirikur

Heyyyy, I was wondering if it was possible to take a self taught B language in IB? I have only heard about people taking A1 and ab initio as self taught :/ My IB school does not offer Japanese at all, and i really want to take exams in japanese :D I have looked at some old IB japanese ab initio exams and I can all ready understand most of it... and I think that A1 would be too hard :P I am really good with languages, so I think Japanese B self taught would be perfect for me :)

You may want to take it, but will your school endorse it?

Since technically, a school has to register you for that programme before you can take the external exams for it. (And from what I know, there is a minimum class size of 3), so if I were you, check it out with your IB Diploma Coordinator, since he/she will know how to fix this problem! :D

And it will be more straightforward too! :D

P.S.- How did you get good at the language? Do you speak this at home? Alternately, there is this japanese proficiency test for foreigners, so you may want to take that too, if you want people to recognize your ability to understand/speak/write the language!

Good luck!

Since technically, a school has to register you for that programme before you can take the external exams for it. (And from what I know, there is a minimum class size of 3), so if I were you, check it out with your IB Diploma Coordinator, since he/she will know how to fix this problem! :D

P.S.- How did you get good at the language? Do you speak this at home? Alternately, there is this japanese proficiency test for foreigners, so you may want to take that too, if you want people to recognize your ability to understand/speak/write the language!

Good luck!

Thank you for the answer :)

I know that in the last examination session there was someone who took the japanese ab initio SL self taught exam at my school, but I will ask the IB Coordinator at my school about taking a B language as self taught :)

As for my japanese, I'm just really interested in the culture and history that I spend MANY hours a week at the library looking at japanese books, magazines etc. And I have bought some books that have taught me a lot of japanese :P There are almost no people in Norway that speak japanese, but I tend to get a good practice at a japanese grocery store, located not so far from where I live :P

As for all the characters, It feels like I have an eidetic memory when I study them :D

• Like 1

Good luck!

Thank you for the answer :)

I know that in the last examination session there was someone who took the japanese ab initio SL self taught exam at my school, but I will ask the IB Coordinator at my school about taking a B language as self taught :)

As for my japanese, I'm just really interested in the culture and history that I spend MANY hours a week at the library looking at japanese books, magazines etc. And I have bought some books that have taught me a lot of japanese :P There are almost no people in Norway that speak japanese, but I tend to get a good practice at a japanese grocery store, located not so far from where I live :P

As for all the characters, It feels like I have an eidetic memory when I study them :D

That's awesome!

I have a friend who has the same case as you! He also has eidetic memory when it comes to Japanese! (But I guess its easier since we also learn Chinese) where I live!)

Good luck in your studies! :D

There's no one who'll stop you from achieving your dreams!

Go forth!

Good luck!

:D