Oral presentation in English A1?

Guest Tuvshee Otgonbayar

Guest Tuvshee Otgonbayar

Hey guys,

So I'm supposed to present a text on Language and Community. But my text is like a text within a text. It is an extract from a book, which is a collection of signs and notices from all over the world in wrong English (Engrish). For those who know it, it's called Lost in Translation. Now I'm confused. I don't know if I should talk about the content and purpose of the book itself (to entertain the readers because the "Engrish" phrases can be pretty hilarious) or the signs (to inform and warn like hotel signs, instruction manuals)

Please help me.

I dont really think we can help you a lot on this topic, basically we just dont know what your teacher wants you to write. However, as you have stablished you need to write the essay on Language and Community so if it was my case, I'd basically write about the register of "Lost in Translation", the style of the author, the choice of words (use of language). You could maybe try to understand, analyse and explain the reasons why the author uses wrong English and what role does it play in the book and if it has, perhaps, a message to the community or some social criticism. Once again I might reinterate that it is pretty difficult for us to know what your teacher expects from you and Im pretty sure most of us have not read "Lost In Translation".

You should consider asking for help to your class partners or even contacting your teacher.

Guest Tuvshee Otgonbayar

I dont really think we can help you a lot on this topic, basically we just dont know what your teacher wants you to write. However, as you have stablished you need to write the essay on Language and Community so if it was my case, I'd basically write about the register of "Lost in Translation", the style of the author, the choice of words (use of language). You could maybe try to understand, analyse and explain the reasons why the author uses wrong English and what role does it play in the book and if it has, perhaps, a message to the community or some social criticism. Once again I might reinterate that it is pretty difficult for us to know what your teacher expects from you and Im pretty sure most of us have not read "Lost In Translation".

You should consider asking for help to your class partners or even contacting your teacher.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. I believe you misunderstood me. The signs are in wrong English already and the author is just collecting them and putting them together in a book. So the author isn't responsible for the choice of words and the use of language. And our teacher didn't tell us much on what we're supposed to do. Basically, we're analyzing texts right now. Determining the text type, content, author, purpose, intended audience, audience reaction and stylistic devices.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. I believe you misunderstood me. The signs are in wrong English already and the author is just collecting them and putting them together in a book. So the author isn't responsible for the choice of words and the use of language. And our teacher didn't tell us much on what we're supposed to do. Basically, we're analyzing texts right now. Determining the text type, content, author, purpose, intended audience, audience reaction and stylistic devices.

Something to consider: why did the author pick the signs s/he did? How do those signs make you feel? Why do they make you feel that way (i.e. what effects were used)? Do these signs contribute to a unifying effect?