How to be ToK-ish?

Ageha

Hey you guys,

We're doing our ToK presentation about madness.

Title: Does madness exist?

Main knowledge issue: To what extent does madness influence creativity.

We have decided to tackle the subject from 4 different AoKs (History, science, art, and literature) but we are only providing facts and it sounds more of a scientific presentation than a ToK one. We were wondering how could we make it more ToK-ish in a sense?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

What you need to do is to present different views from different people in these fields that you hope to discuss about, and discuss their strengths and weaknesses of these views, possibly owing to the ways of knowing involved.

Since you are talking about madness and creativity, I suggest including scientific experimental results from a neuroscientist and/or psychologist on how these type of brain processes work and what goes on inside the brain in that condition.

You could also look for interviews or quotes of artists and authors who incorporate madness and/or similar feelings such as mood swings or "extreme" feelings in their work.

Hope I helped! :)

What you need to do is to present different views from different people in these fields that you hope to discuss about, and discuss their strengths and weaknesses of these views, possibly owing to the ways of knowing involved.

Since you are talking about madness and creativity, I suggest including scientific experimental results from a neuroscientist and/or psychologist on how these type of brain processes work and what goes on inside the brain in that condition.

You could also look for interviews or quotes of artists and authors who incorporate madness and/or similar feelings such as mood swings or "extreme" feelings in their work.

Hope I helped! :)

That was great..

I got a clearer idea on what needs to be done...

Thank you very much.

It does sound like it's rather skipping past the actual theme of TOK which is the ways of knowledge. Evidence, arguments etc. won't win you points unless you stick them firmly on a framework of TOK. Information from the neuroscientist is very interesting but completely irrelevant to TOK and so should be added in in a 'decorative' sense to show you researched it a bit - but if you have it as the main part of your presentation it's more like a general interest presentation rather than TOK!

I suggest changing your question to "How do we distinguish madness from creativity?" and THEN look at it from the point of view of ways of knowing. How do we identify creativity via the ways of knowing? How do the ways of knowing change in madness? In what ways do we distinguish one from the other - i.e. how are they similar and how are they different, in terms of application of ways of knowing? Go through them and think about how we use Perception, Emotion, Reason and Language and make all of your answers revolve somehow around those.

It's a cool topic but you really need to make sure that WAYS OF KNOWING come into absolutely all of it if you're aiming for top marks.

It does sound like it's rather skipping past the actual theme of TOK which is the ways of knowledge. Evidence, arguments etc. won't win you points unless you stick them firmly on a framework of TOK. Information from the neuroscientist is very interesting but completely irrelevant to TOK and so should be added in in a 'decorative' sense to show you researched it a bit - but if you have it as the main part of your presentation it's more like a general interest presentation rather than TOK!

I suggest changing your question to "How do we distinguish madness from creativity?" and THEN look at it from the point of view of ways of knowing. How do we identify creativity via the ways of knowing? How do the ways of knowing change in madness? In what ways do we distinguish one from the other - i.e. how are they similar and how are they different, in terms of application of ways of knowing? Go through them and think about how we use Perception, Emotion, Reason and Language and make all of your answers revolve somehow around those.

It's a cool topic but you really need to make sure that WAYS OF KNOWING come into absolutely all of it if you're aiming for top marks.

Thank you very much....

The problem is our presentation is in a couple of days and its quite hard to change the main knowledge issue after all this time, although I know it isn't far off our original.

If however we fail to approach our original knowledge issue from a ToK point of view I would gladly consider changing it.

Thanks again for your tips, they were quite helpful