Easy admissions

rahuld3eora

Hi, i was wondering weather applying for specific courses makes it easier to get into a university. Suppose i want to study pure mathematics, now not many people study this so competition in this field will be lower than usual. So is it that if i apply for pure math to a university like Brown which is more popular in economics, does that make it easier for me to get in? I am not planning to change my major later or anything i really want to do pure math. I mean universities have to accept people like that, math professors cant be teaching the benches. So, will it be easier for me to get in if i apply for pure math?

Hi, i was wondering weather applying for specific courses makes it easier to get into a university. Suppose i want to study pure mathematics, now not many people study this so competition in this field will be lower than usual. So is it that if i apply for pure math to a university like Brown which is more popular in economics, does that make it easier for me to get in? I am not planning to change my major later or anything i really want to do pure math. I mean universities have to accept people like that, math professors cant be teaching the benches. So, will it be easier for me to get in if i apply for pure math?

For an Ivy League like Brown? I highly doubt it. There are enough people applying to ALL the majors in brown and I really dont think that they need people to 'fill up' their classes.

Anyhow I can't really make a judjemnt without more information...What are your grades like?

if you really want easy admissions with grades below 36, you should consider the Asian or African universities. or maybe some of the unpopular ones in UK too but I think it's not that easy compared to some Asian unis, some in developing countries give people offers very easily just because they need more people to 'fill up' the seats yeah so if there's an application they'll be happy already

It still depends on their allocation and quotas. There is never a definite in these things. At times, it depends on luck too. There is nothing easy in this case. If it's an Ivy, it's an Ivy. Just their allocation and how you are yourself. Some people might not be academically-inclined but they can get in too. It all depends but it is worth to apply if you think you can perform and commit. Be true to yourself and ready to give your best. All the best!

• 3 weeks later...

why would you want to go to brown to study pure mathematics? there are plenty of lower ranked schools with much better math departments.

yes you do have a higher chance of getting into a university if you said you want to study mathematics instead of something like economics or politics. but the advantage is almost negligible.

No, it doesn't work that way. There are so many statistics to think about ... for example, ratio of students who receive places to students applying. You can reasonably expect this to be around 5% in an Ivy League uni (I think), 8% vs. 5% doesn't make much of a difference. And then there's also the general academic standard for applying; at Oxbridge pretty much everyone will have A*AA or 40+ IB points, but averages vary within courses. You could have higher admissions rates AND a higher standard of applicants. And you have to remember all the other stuff that comes into play like extra-curriculars, etc. Basically you should not expect to get into a uni easy. Work hard for an Ivy League, slack off for a normal uni, really slack off for no uni at all. It's pretty straightforward.

• Like 2