EE philosophy and some questions i've thought of

Award Winning Boss

Hello,

So I've been thinking about my question and I have a few that are linked to philosophy

1. something about the concept of nothing

a. if nothing exists (Ohhh contradictions :) ) does that justify the existence of God?

b. This one I'm not too sure about for some reason, I see myself arguing about nothing really (pun intended)

2. Something based on how morals and ethics change when people are in different situations

a. I mentioned experiments and stuff (obviously not cutting peoples brains open and stuff but like a social experiments) and a teacher said that there are guidelines and stuff (based on ethical experimentation, if anyone could explain I'd appreciate it)

b. so I guess it'd be like, 'how and why do peoples morals and ethics change when in different groups)

3. I wanted to do something based on emotion and reason

a. something like ' if reason overrides emotion would we be better off living in an emotionless world?'

Are you allowed to have a question that is a statement and evaluate it?

These are just some questions, I have quite a while to come up with the final one however, I'd just appreciate some feed back :)

Edited by AHiddenName
Please edit your previous reply rather than adding another one.

• 2 weeks later...

1. something about the concept of nothing

a. if nothing exists (Ohhh contradictions :) ) does that justify the existence of God?

b. This one I'm not too sure about for some reason, I see myself arguing about nothing really (pun intended)

2. Something based on how morals and ethics change when people are in different situations

a. I mentioned experiments and stuff (obviously not cutting peoples brains open and stuff but like a social experiments) and a teacher said that there are guidelines and stuff (based on ethical experimentation, if anyone could explain I'd appreciate it)

b. so I guess it'd be like, 'how and why do peoples morals and ethics change when in different groups)

3. I wanted to do something based on emotion and reason

a. something like ' if reason overrides emotion would we be better off living in an emotionless world?'

Are you allowed to have a question that is a statement and evaluate it?

These are just some questions, I have quite a while to come up with the final one however, I'd just appreciate some feed back :)

1) Very (too) broad, in its current state not at all analytical or theory based. Possibly plausible if narrowed down a lot and attached to some theories/ideas. The essay has to have elements of analysis and logic in it. Check out the 50 Excellent Extended Essays and look at the one on neurobiology and determinism to get an idea of how people can take big ideas and make them into an essay via narrowing them into a particular scenario. Also, putting a god in your EE = a big no-no.

2) This is not Philosophy, it's a Psychology question.

3) This is more of a TOK question than a Philosophy question. It's broad and in its current form wouldn't score highly as a Philosophy essay at all 'cause it has (again) no analytical elements. As a rule, any question which you could see as the 'controversial' headline for an article in a pseudo-intellectual magazine you can gun down with immediate effect ;)

In terms of a statement to evaluate, you are meant to be doing research so my suggestion would be that you change the statement into a question instead.

1) Very (too) broad, in its current state not at all analytical or theory based. Possibly plausible if narrowed down a lot and attached to some theories/ideas. The essay has to have elements of analysis and logic in it. Check out the 50 Excellent Extended Essays and look at the one on neurobiology and determinism to get an idea of how people can take big ideas and make them into an essay via narrowing them into a particular scenario. Also, putting a god in your EE = a big no-no.

2) This is not Philosophy, it's a Psychology question.

3) This is more of a TOK question than a Philosophy question. It's broad and in its current form wouldn't score highly as a Philosophy essay at all 'cause it has (again) no analytical elements. As a rule, any question which you could see as the 'controversial' headline for an article in a pseudo-intellectual magazine you can gun down with immediate effect wink.gif

In terms of a statement to evaluate, you are meant to be doing research so my suggestion would be that you change the statement into a question instead.

Thanks smile.gif does that mean i should ignore eugenics in that case? I was thinking of talking about the moral implications of that now that the population is at a worrying stage.

I like the neurobiology one... if i did something like that would it be copying ? although i'm not taking it word for word, or copying it for that matter (that made no sense)

Edited by AHiddenName