Getting 7 for Math HL tests

Jeremy Liu

Hey, I'm in my second year IB Math HL. I find the course relatively challenging and require lots of self-studying. However, even though I did lots of questions on the textbook, whenever there is a test, I usually dont get the mark that I want(7). It's really disappointing to me cause I only can get a 6. I feel the problem is the difficulty of the questions in the Math HL textbook is way easier compared to the questions on the test. Any suggestion that how I can improve my grade from a 6 to 7. Right now in our math class, we're learning about Integration. Thank You!

• Like 1

Yeah I know what you mean when you say the textbook questions are easier than the test questions :/ Just find some past IB exam papers and do the integration questions. It will get you used to the format of IB questions. Plus your teacher may take test questions from the past IB questions, so you may have an advantage on your test :P

• Like 1

Yeah I know what you mean when you say the textbook questions are easier than the test questions :/ Just find some past IB exam papers and do the integration questions. It will get you used to the format of IB questions. Plus your teacher may take test questions from the past IB questions, so you may have an advantage on your test :P

Do you have links to a database of questions from previous tests?

My teacher has one, and she literally uses those questions on the test. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have links to a database of questions from previous tests?

My teacher has one, and she literally uses those questions on the test. :P

About the link. There's no such link. Maybe you might get the question papers from some websites. But the best thing to do is that you take the question bank from your library/teacher. They have one for almost every subject. They are pretty useful. My teacher gave it us but heres the thing, she has other sources so we don't get that huge an advantage :P

FYI: The question banks don't work on 64 bit windows or mac. Only the latest may 2011 cd works on all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm in my second year IB Math HL. I find the course relatively challenging and require lots of self-studying. However, even though I did lots of questions on the textbook, whenever there is a test, I usually dont get the mark that I want(7). It's really disappointing to me cause I only can get a 6. I feel the problem is the difficulty of the questions in the Math HL textbook is way easier compared to the questions on the test. Any suggestion that how I can improve my grade from a 6 to 7. Right now in our math class, we're learning about Integration. Thank You!

this is exactly what is happening to me. this is exactly the problem of my whole class.

Past papers are great though I find that the further you go back, the easier the exams are. The latest ones (post-2008) will be the ones closest in type to your exams. Check your school library to see if they stock other HL maths textbooks. My school did and it helped by providing A LOT more variety. Also, you can do the equivalent maths exams from other systems ie. a levels. Maths is pretty much the same everywhere.