Tips on WL essay?

Sarabunny

Hello,

In my english class we have to write an essay that will be graded like the WL paper will be, comparing Antigone by Sophocles and Ibsen's A Doll House. I was considering discussing feminism but am not completely sure....

anybody have any ideas or tips on how to write a good essay in general or specifically for these 2 works?

Thanks!

Edited by Sarabunny

Well whatever you choose, make sure it's clear and specific.

Don't go for a broad topic, like feminism in the two writings... instead focus it to something like

The use in feminism portraying.... factor X in the two writings

Or the use of characterizations to show.... factor Y in the two writings

Or Character foil suggesting factor Z in the two writings...

Make sure you focus on the comparative part of the essay, stating what thinks are the same and what things are different, and how its significant. Also, try to incorporate the settings of the two books, and explain what you are comparing is important.

• Like 1

Feminism is quite a common topic. So you want to find a way to be original and creative with it. My advice? Read through both books thinking "Feminism" in mind. Then try to go deeper and be more specific - what does feminism influence the most? Characterization, cultural values, plot etc. You want to be VERY focused. Is there a change in the feminist attitudes? Is feminism portrayed through the dialogue? Just do some experimenting, you'll find something. Good luck! :)

Since it's just a practice WL, you can afford to experiment with it and see what kind of issues you can handle. Almost everyone can write about major themes like feminism, and let me tell you, almost everyone in your grade will think of doing that. Instead, you should think along the lines of plot or character development, and if you feel you can, maybe you could look at how stage directions help in the progression of the plot... or the props. There's no limit to what you can do with these two books.