Is this normal for UCAS applications?

Guest Mo Rahman

Guest Mo Rahman

Hi,

I sent off my UCAS application around the 5th of October and only yesterday tried loging in to 'Track' my application. I've gathered that to check the status of my choices, I have to go to the 'choices' tab. However, it seems that this was last updated on the 7th of Oct, when UCAS processed it. Does this mean that UCAS have had no reply from universities regarding my offer? Or is this normal for UCAS applications? If a university has made a decision, I would really like to know.

Thanks

Edited by Mo Rahman

if it's last updated on the 7th, it's very likely that your school sent your application off to UCAS on the 7th, or it's submitted before that day but UCAS only processed it on the 7th.

yes it is actually normal to have not heard any decision from any university, moreover if all unis you applied to are top tier universities. have you received your acknowledgements though? you should be looking forward to them at the moment, but after you received all of them you can look forward to getting the decisions! :D

Also don't worry about not receiving decisions quickly, or even acknowledgements. They can take months. You'll be notified when an update is made to your application on Track and get an email, which is generally how most people find out. UCAS does this horrible cliff-hanger "your blah has been updated" email that doesn't tell you what's happened until you log in.

Best thing to do with UCAS is totally remove it from your life and just check your emails like normal til you get an update. Otherwise you become some kind of crazy constantly refreshing when in actuality it could take yonks. Some Unis are swift to acknowledge you, others don't give a damn about it. I actually had one Uni never even get back to me! It just timed me out. The deadline for responses from UCAS passed and they'd never got in contact with me even once, so I just assumed it meant I was rejected. Got a letter about a month later telling me I didn't meet their criteria (ahem, bull****), so yeah. Don't apply to Bristol folks :P And don't stress about UCAS not having passed your details on or anything, they'll remain dormant until you get that "your track has been updated" thing, as I said.

Guest Mo Rahman

Ahh, alright I see. I have had acknowledgement e-mails from 3 of the universities so I was kind of worried that something had happened with my application with the other two so decided to check UCAS. They really love teasing you eh? BUT ITS TOO MUCH; I CAN'T BEAR IT! I MUST KNOW!!!!

Haha. Thanks for the info :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hello :)

I applied to King's College London in October and I already got a desicion (rejected) from them even though the deadline for application to this course is in January. I have 44 IB points and at least my teachers said that my personal statement is really good. So i don't really see how they could have rejected me already :o

Could there be some mistake from the university or is this just wishful thinking? :P

they might think that your school is BSing your predictions (this HAS happened!) and guess you might have applied to Oxbridge. I don't know if it's really true, but I've heard of universities rejecting people who apply before the Oxbridge deadline because they are assumed to have applied there and think their uni will only be used as an insurance or something.

but then didn't they put some reason as to why they rejected you? :/ I bet people said unis put that in the rejection letter.

but you can reapply to the same uni for a different course if you've applied to one uni.

Hello :)

I applied to King's College London in October and I already got a desicion (rejected) from them even though the deadline for application to this course is in January. I have 44 IB points and at least my teachers said that my personal statement is really good. So i don't really see how they could have rejected me already :o

Could there be some mistake from the university or is this just wishful thinking? :P

Why not send them an email asking for the reason you've been rejected? Usually they have some standard answers (e.g. your PS was good, but not as good as other PSs), but ask them if it is possible to be reconsidered. A friend of mine was rejected by Dundee for Medicine last year and when emailing them, they said that his application would be reconsidered and he was actually called for an interview after that. You have nothing to lose so why not give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

they might think that your school is BSing your predictions (this HAS happened!) and guess you might have applied to Oxbridge. I don't know if it's really true, but I've heard of universities rejecting people who apply before the Oxbridge deadline because they are assumed to have applied there and think their uni will only be used as an insurance or something.

What Desy said are the two primary reasons top tier, non-Oxbridge Universities reject students.