Emotion as a Way of Knowing

CkyBlue

Hey guys, I'm going to be doing my first TOK related presentation on one of the Ways of Knowing: Emotion.

I'd like to hear some thoughts about the topic. I think its similar to the real one, 12 mins presentation, 8 mins Q/A. Emotion as a WoK can be broken down to other "Emotional WoKs" and these are

Empathy, Acquaintance, Conscience, Belief and Conviction, Introspection, Practise and Instinct.

I have only a vague idea how Practise relates to Emotion, I guess its something like how we grew up and what our routine is and our own opinion and reaction to things. The book said Practise is like knowing how to play the piano through practise, but that does not seem to fit Emotion.

Some general questions:

How do I structure and format such a presentation if its not ToK? Do I still need a real life example?

Emotion can be defined as a mental feeling. If I feel like eating, can that be a feeling/emotion?

What, generally can we know through emotion? Is emotion simply something biological?

Can we explain our emotions as a Way of Knowing? (e.g. If I know I like someone, how do I explain that? Is, I feel that I love her a good enough answer?)

Thank you in advance.

To me, we make a decision on nearly everything using our emotions first but use reason to back it up afterwards.

People that lose their emotive capacity tend to take much longer on everyday decisions.

I've always classed emotion as subconcious thought so it is a way of 'knowing'.

My brain isn't working properly right now sorry about that.

Here's an example i remembered that shows people use emotions to 'know' things

'A brother and a sister have sex. They are alone and promise not to tell anyone. They use 2 forms of contraception, a condom and the pill so there's no baby. It strengthens their relationship as they end up getting married to other people but stay it good contact. Why was it wrong?'

'The baby could be deformed!' - They had no baby because of contraception

'It would make their relationship as brother and sister void' - it made their relationship stronger

eventually some will end up saying - 'it's just wrong' so they 'know' its wrong but have no reason to back it up.

Now i have no idea how that was relevant to what you were asking but i hope you can get something out of it. If what i said was useless can you give more information?

I really do not see how addressed my questions and concerns.. I don't think I can give any more information that can be helpful.. :S

If they know something is wrong, but only have no reason to explain themselves, is it true, or even knowledge? How does it even pertain to emotion?

I really do not see how addressed my questions and concerns.. I don't think I can give any more information that can be helpful.. :S

If they know something is wrong, but only have no reason to explain themselves, is it true, or even knowledge? How does it even pertain to emotion?

If you 'know' something is wrong but have no reason to back it up then it must be emotion or an instinct (which is innate emotion to me)

They only way they'd 'know' something is wrong is due to past experience that is like buried in the back of their mind. Musn't that make the emotion a feeling that has happened due to past knowledge.

I struggled to remember an example for this. However, in 1991 there was a commander, Michael Riley, in Kuwait and a blip showed up on the radar in the submarine. He knew something was wrong but had nothing to justify it as it could have been a missle or two innocent pilots. He decided to shoot it down because he felt it was wrong. Then it ended up being a missle.

You could argue due to experience he felt it was wrong as it did not fit the norm and that should make the emotion an feeling brought up due to past knowledge

I have no idea how to phrase that properly sorry.

hmmm well your first sentence helped. I went to my friend's today to get it done. We have a real life situation and everything now :P

Could: "What can we know through our emotions" be a KI? Or "When is it most practical to use emotions as a WoK?"

:/

Still waiting for my previous concerns to be addressed D:

For the feel like eating, technically, your feeling, hunger, which is a response to stimuli you get from things your body senses, just like others. So, technically, given the definition:"a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others", and since hunger is a circumstance you feel, then technically, its a feeling.

You may want to show them something scary to start off your presentation. :D (Or to make them evoke emotions!)

There may be logical processes behind our emotions that we just cannot understand. It's like gut feeling when you're in a test. You don't know what the answer is, but you just "feel" it, and ultimately, you get it right! :D

So yea! :D Hope it helped!

• Like 1