Kinetics Design Lab/Math Studies IA

aberrant_apple

Please help! I need an experiment idea that will produce 2-variable results, is possible with a rather limited supply of chemicals, and is preferably of order 1 or 2. After making the decision to simultaneously complete my Kinetics design lab and Math Studies IA with one experiment and analyzing it separately in each subject area, I realized that I had to find an experiment applicable to both.I have some ideas regarding experiment, such as testing the rate of neutralization for Mg(OH)2 and HCl, but many of them are difficult to quantify. I cannot do calcium carbonate and hydrochloric acid, though they may seem the obvious choice, as I have already used them twice in other experiments. Thanks :)

why you so lazy? I'm not sure on what kind of investigation you can do for Maths Studies, but almost everyone does statistics, which I think is easier than what you're thinking of!

do you still need help with the Chem design? what about dissolving a metal in acid?

Well, I'm only trying to make the time I have to spend on this just a bit less than it has to be as I have to do both regardless of what I choose. Time constraints are an issue. Additionally, I only need to have a set of data that I can plot on a graph, which most experiments have anyway.

I do like the idea of dissolving a metal in acid though, I'll probably look a bit more into it :)

oh well i always thought you'd have to investigate more than 2 variables in Maths Studies IA. i don't know though, never read the criteria myself (only read people's posts in this forum).

for the metal and acid one you can probably investigate the rate of reaction, or the enthalpy change.. what about electrolysis? just use 2 small beakers, you can use pencil lead (graphite) for the carbon electrodes. but you can only investigate qualitatively I guess :/ uhh what about voltaic cells? um or simple titration?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't understand what is a design lab. I'm suppose to do one but I don't get how to do the hypothesis when my problem question is :How many molecules are there given the mass of a substance?

Help would be appreciated.

That's too simplistic. To solve that, you'd just do n=m/M, divide the mass by the molar mass, and then multiply the number of moles by 6.02x10^23 to find molecules. Too simple overall.