Nervous breakdowns

wombat123

By the end of my IB years only 2 of us hadn't gone to see our Head of 6th (replacement for our IBC, given that our IBC was King of the Useless Penguins) in some kind of tear-filled state. Including me! That's 'cause emotional melt-downs occur at home for maximum maintenance of self-respect and not at school weeping in front of your teachers (which I would find embarrassingly weird myself), doncha know tongue.gif Not that they don't happen.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that most non-robotic people put in stressful evil situations have some kind of emotional breakdown moment. Although I should at this point stress the difference between emotional breakdown and a real nervous breakdown which is the kind of thing that puts people on gardening leave from their jobs. Especially if your school manages the IB extremely badly. Like mine did! When every single IA deadline occurs within the space of 3 weeks, it's hard to avoid becoming a panicking twitching (sleep-deprived) mess. The sleep-deprived bit doesn't help. Emotionally dying is a sophisticated albeit rather humiliating form of coping strategy.

One of the saddest sights I've ever seen was in the middle of Maths Paper 1 when all I could hear was the person I'd sat next to in SL Maths for 2 years, and who I knew to be way better than me at every single aspect of Maths, sobbing quietly onto the paper. Particularly painful because I knew that whatever was going badly for her, was going twice as badly for me because all I could do was flick through the pages again and again and stare at unintelligible questions in horror until the exam ended. God that paper was awful.

Oh dear. So so so many.

I cried in my HL Maths Paper 1 mock. It was incredibly embarrassing. Seriously, I cried in an exam. WHO DOES THAT?

Me, apparently.

Emotional breakdowns do occur rather often, I think my stress relief gauge is located in my tear ducts :) It's amazing how much better you feel afterwards though, I don't think there's any harm if it helps you to think clearer :) (After the aahhggggggorrrahhhhhhhhhggggggggg incomprehensible language has evicted itself from your vocabulary :) )

I'm about to have one now since I have my WLA1 and TOK essay first drafts as well as a written task due next week and next to no time to do them.

Also once had one over how ****ty our Biology teacher is (e.g. we haven't done any proper labs or even talked about IA's and we're in IB2. When I asked why, his answer was that he still hadn't got around to marking our "labs" that we did A YEAR AGO).

hm... maybe not crying but the state between crying and laughing hysterically. Been there, saw that many a few times and it's just the end of October. Personally, I had something like 3-4 of these... Mainly caused by Biology HL and my super harsh teacher. First - after first lesson, when she talked what she expects from us, how it'll look and then someone said "it's good there will be summer holiday..." and her reaction was an evil grinch look and: "summer holiday? what holiday? who told you there are any holidays in IB? no breaks, no holidays hahah!" and yea... that was it. And I don't think she was kidding... She really thinks that -,-

• 2 weeks later...

I have an anxiety disorder so I'm very prone to having panic attacks and/or nervous breakdowns. Combine this with the given stress of IB and exams... it's not fun at all!!!

As it's exam time for me I've been having pretty bad panic attacks before every single one of my exams. I always feel so terrible before exams; even if I thought I was / even if I think I am good at the subject I never, ever fail to stress out before an exam :(

I hate myself sometimes... so much :(

Edited by Schrödinger's Cat
  • Like 1

It's funny this thread came up in new content.

Just before last weeks SL Maths P1 exam, I freaked out. I don't know what happened, but I just cried and hyperventilated, and just completely fell apart claiming I knew nothing and was going to fail! I think that might be part of the reason I actually did really badly on the exam :/.

That was my first and final freak out hopefully. My other exams have so far been fine, so maybe it was just my hate for maths that drove me to tears :P

For me , Economics always gives me a nervous breakdowns. At first when I dont get the concept, I become really frustrated and throw the books and shout at myself haha. Its just that the diagrams can sometimes be tough to understand, but we dont always understand things from the first time, so I need to be more patient.

Honestly.. I have a little breakdown right now. It's only 6 days till I have my portfolio due and I really feel like under a big pressure. Thanks God, the portfolio isn't my official one, but just normal homework, anyway it's going to be graded like a normal one.. ugghhhh.

Someone wanna talk? I think I need to talk to somebody lol. :)

I'm totally there with you guys. Got to this thread by searching "panicking" in that little search bar up there. I'm panicking. Right now. I have a ToK paper due tomorrow, though it's not the official deadline, it is the one and only grade for my ToK class, so I really don't want to fail it. I'm defnitely rewriting it over the Thanksgiving break, which I'm extremely thankful for.

We switched coordinators right in the middle of this year (senior year no less) so it's extra strain because of the switch over. Our new coordinator was coordinator elsewhere, thank goodness, but it still didn't make it easy to switch from management styles. Last Friday I had a History IA due, and now this!

~Insert paragraphs of gibbering, whining, and general stress induced jabbering here~

I'll spare you guys the anguish of having to relive these stressful moments. Let's just remember that if we don't get our diplomas, instead of getting one sheet of paper, we'll have a stack of certificates! (Yes, folks, a STACK!) and the sun will rise and set just like any normal day, universities will throw money and offers of scholoarships at us because we tried, and we can get some sweet, sweet sleep. (Real sleep, not the crash you get after five hours of homework and your brain says NO! and then you wake up with Bio homework stuck to your cheek. I mean the actual kind where you go "Oooh, tired," lie down, and fall asleep thinking about small furry things giving you big hugs).

~EP

I haven't exactly had a legit nervous breakdown, but I can say that I have had a few moments where I felt so restless. On top of IB, my extra curricular activities include: Spanish Honor Society, National Honor Society, Orchestra, Art Honor Society, Asian Student Association, etc. I've done so poorly on my IB exams so far (I've only taken two-- SL Chem and SL Math Studies). Anyone want to cheer me up with a few kinds words of sympathy? Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, sure have. (well,..... i haven't really broke down and cried) lol. but i remember one weekend, i had like tons of homework. I had homework in each class. and in a few classes i had like 2 or 3 assignments. I just wanted to scream!!!

I am about to have another one this week. I've got my interpretation of data (Criteron B) for my Math Studies IA due tomorrow, and I need to change my topic, but haven't figured out a good one interesting to me yet. Thursday, I have a TOK project due. Friday, I have to have read 271 pgs of a book for History of the Americas called Liberators and the book bores me to death. I'm on on like page 60 something. Also, I have 2 books and a play that we're currently reading. One for TOK, (Sophie's World), one for History of the Americas (Liberators), and the play for English (A Doll's House). And there's just sooo much more. On top of all this crap, I have to make cookies for a party for a club on Thursday, so I'll have to fit that into my homework schedule. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown now! :/

• 2 weeks later...

I had one just yesterday, actually. Not a full-blown meltdown, but one if those half-laughing, half-crying breakdowns. My class was working on a hard lab, my classmates were badgering me on whether or not I'd figured it out yet, and my Bio teacher was just watching it all unfold amusedly. Well, I was trying to talk myself through to see if I could work out a solution, and I just started laughing and crying. It wasn't a pretty sight. :/

I've cried like 5 times i think ever since i started IB. Mostly because of the deadlines and the work that kept on piling up day after day. The stress of it all made me sick because i get like migraines almost every other day so that combined with the stress from IB makes me a unhappy person. My friend started crying two days before we closed school because of the EE and WL being due on the same day. The tortures of IB . . . :/

• Like 1

YES. just this week in Chinese we had 3 quizzes (she calls them quizzes but they're really tests but that way she doesn't have to put them on the High school test calender), an economics test, and economics ia due, a math test, a Spanish test, spanish quiz, and an environmental test. I was fine with everything except Chinese. On monday after our first Chinese test i cried, and on Thursday after our third test i also cried. :'(