Useful Calculator Functions (TI-84 Series)

Ezeh

Feel free to post your useful calculator functions that are not so obvious to the average user. I know that only recently have I started using my calculator properly and it helps a lot!

For those of you who don't know - you can update your calculator to the newest firmware and it contains many new features!

Possibly one of my favourite additions is that you don't have to remember the order to input the binompdf(), normalpdf() etc. as it gives you a wizard now!

So if your giving your exams NEXT month...you figured out how to use the calculator NOW?

Anyhow,

TI-84 HAS a new OS which is at 2.55MP

It can be downloaded from here. You will need the TI connect software to run the upgrade via USB. Get it for WINDOWS here and MAC OS X here. You can EVEN get more apps for your TI-84 from here.

More places to get Apps:

http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/flash/

Edited by Guest

So if your giving your exams NEXT month...you figured out how to use the calculator NOW?

Anyhow,

TI-84 HAS a new OS which is at 2.55MP

It can be downloaded from here. You will need the TI connect software to run the upgrade via USB. Get it for WINDOWS here and MAC OS X here. You can EVEN get more apps for your TI-84 from here.

More places to get Apps:

http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/flash/

Yeah I have already download it as I said, but thanks. And I do know how to use my calculator, I've just been finding new, easier ways recently and wanted to get people to share their functions to help everyone else.

And please don't ridicule me, I am getting 7's - I'm not an idiot.

• Like 1

Woah RELAX...I wasn't putting you down in any way. I'm just surprised...

Nonetheless why not post these new 'functions' so that we all can see them?

And...no offence but getting 7's doesn't make you smart. What matters is what you DO with that knowledge.

Woah RELAX...I wasn't putting you down in any way. I'm just surprised...

Nonetheless why not post these new 'functions' so that we all can see them?

And...no offence but getting 7's doesn't make you smart. What matters is what you DO with that knowledge.

I know, just reinforcing the fact that I got along just fine without using my calculator very well :)

• Like 1

JeZUZ man, ishaan, you're pretty goddamn stuck-up, even for an IB student. Take it easy on the bloke - Either you don't know how to construct a proper, inoffensive sentence ..or you just want to put everyone down on purpose. He doesn't need to relax, you do. Also, he was saying don't ridicule him about his mathematical knowledge - he's getting 7's in it. "getting 7's doesn't make you smart. What matters is what you DO with that knowledge" how the hell does this have anything to do with what is going on? loool. Just chill, Mr. Business and Tech Expert.

And Ezeh, I wish you all the best in the exams next week. I can't wait :P

For the features, I really like the "2nd Calc" option when dealing with functions, but everyone probably already knows this. And another nice feature is activating the "LinReg" through the "Catalogue" so it appears everytime you perform the "2nd-Var" function. I'll send you a link of how you can do this if you don't know what I mean.

• Like 1

JeZUZ man, ishaan, you're pretty goddamn stuck-up, even for an IB student. Take it easy on the bloke - Either you don't know how to construct a proper, inoffensive sentence ..or you just want to put everyone down on purpose. He doesn't need to relax, you do. Also, he was saying don't ridicule him about his mathematical knowledge - he's getting 7's in it. "getting 7's doesn't make you smart. What matters is what you DO with that knowledge" how the hell does this have anything to do with what is going on? loool. Just chill, Mr. Business and Tech Expert.

And Ezeh, I wish you all the best in the exams next week. I can't wait :P

For the features, I really like the "2nd Calc" option when dealing with functions, but everyone probably already knows this. And another nice feature is activating the "LinReg" through the "Catalogue" so it appears everytime you perform the "2nd-Var" function. I'll send you a link of how you can do this if you don't know what I mean.

Cheers mate, all the best to you too!

As for the LinReg function, I'm a little lost as to what it calculates? On the new firmware (2.55MP) there's a new view that they have implemented and it gives me the values for a and b in the form y=ax+b (there's also a+bx). Does this take into account the function you have in Y1, or something else. By the looks of it i'm guessing it could be used for finding the equation of tangents?

Could you please elaborate on it a bit more?

Cheers :)

This is for statistics. So when you have the table filled in (L1 and L2), normally you can calculate many things on these values with the default options. However, by default, it won't show the regression values for the 2 variables, but you can activate this through Catalogue so that it will show.

pretty much explains what I'm talking bout in ~1 min.

It's pretty useful for me, but I don't know how handy it would be for you (depending on which level of math you're taking).

:)

Edited by d3athlig3r

we all know who the troll is :troll:

good luck with your exams guys!!! *fingers crossed*

do you know you can solve polynomial functions using your GDC? I've only figured that out like in my second semester of IB1... -.- so in case if you don't know, I can share how to.

Oh wow, would you mind sharing? :D

do you know you can solve polynomial functions using your GDC? I've only figured that out like in my second semester of IB1... -.- so in case if you don't know, I can share how to.

I know how to do that too. You could use the program button, and just create a new program.

Name it whatever you want. Then, you have to input the following in this order (this is for third degree polynomials. If you want, you can easily change the powers, to adjust to any kind of polynomial):

:ClrHome

:Disp "F(X)= AX^3+BX^2+CX+D"

:Input "A=", A

:Input "B=", B

And you do the same till the last input, input D. Then:

:Pause

:Lb1 L

:Input "X=", X

:AX^3+BX^2+CX+D

:Disp "F(X)=", Y

:Goto L

And that's essentially it. If you want to use the program, just go onto the home screen, and go back to the program, click on it, pressing enter. Then, it'll ask you to define A, B, C and D, and there you go!

Edited by nametaken

I know how to do that too. You could use the program button, and just create a new program.

Name it whatever you want. Then, you have to input the following in this order (this is for third degree polynomials. If you want, you can easily change the powers, to adjust to any kind of polynomial):

And that's essentially it. If you want to use the program, just go onto the home screen, and go back to the program, click on it, pressing enter. Then, it'll ask you to define A, B, C and D, and there you go!

Wow great answer cheers!

But I'm still a little confused, what would it do exactly, and how is it any different from manually putting it into your calculator?

And if I'm not mistaken you have to clear your memory when you enter into the exams and that would clear your saved programs too?

Wow great answer cheers!

But I'm still a little confused, what would it do exactly, and how is it any different from manually putting it into your calculator?

And if I'm not mistaken you have to clear your memory when you enter into the exams and that would clear your saved programs too?

Well, this program to be honest, simply solves F(X) for you. I think although you could manually do it, it would save a lot of time, especially if you have bigger polynomials to work with.

Hmmm...yeah I suppose you're right about having to clear you memory. My teacher did say that you weren't allowed to have programs saved on your calculator before going into the exam hall. That's a precaution just in case someone from the IB comes into the exam hall.

Just thought I'd share what I'd found. That's all.

By the way, if you are thinking of creating the program, the command terms (pause, clrHome) can be found by clicking the prgm button again.

Edited by nametaken

I would just download PolySmlt for your TI-84, it is a polynomial root finder and has a very easy interface to use. Moreover, you are permitted to use it during IB exams.

I'm using the program for almost every assessment I've had in math so far, and it has always saved me a couple minutes here and there.

Oh boo hoo.

Well its good to see your thread come together. You people really take my comments very seriously don't you? Nonetheless my apologies to Ezeh and good luck on your exams. So to make up for my 'trolling' as Desy puts it.

Here is a 3D grapher for the TI-84. its pretty awesome and I know Math HL students who have used it. Get it from: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/flash/math/graph3.zip

And here is an app which was VERY popular amongst my seniors: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/flash/math/zstats.zip

Its got a whole bunch of stuff on Statistics, plenty of formulas, definitions...all that jazz.

Oh boo hoo.

Well its good to see your thread come together. You people really take my comments very seriously don't you? Nonetheless my apologies to Ezeh and good luck on your exams. So to make up for my 'trolling' as Desy puts it.

Here is a 3D grapher for the TI-84. its pretty awesome and I know Math HL students who have used it. Get it from: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/flash/math/graph3.zip

And here is an app which was VERY popular amongst my seniors: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/flash/math/zstats.zip

Its got a whole bunch of stuff on Statistics, plenty of formulas, definitions...all that jazz.

Thanks mate, no hard feelings.

And cheers for that zstats app, it looks really handy!

Oh boo hoo.

Will the derivative thing give me the function of f'(x) or will it just give me the value at x?

Oh boo hoo.

Will the derivative thing give me the function of f'(x) or will it just give me the value at x?

Just tested it out - it gives you the function. Pretty nifty.

Oh boo hoo.

Here is a 3D grapher for the TI-84. its pretty awesome and I know Math HL students who have used it. Get it from: http://www.ticalc.or...math/graph3.zip

And here is an app which was VERY popular amongst my seniors: http://www.ticalc.or...math/zstats.zip

Just tested it out - it gives you the function. Pretty nifty.

Obviously!

I only provide the 'good' stuff. (If you catch my drift)

Now another app for the TI-84 is Notfolio: Which allows user to make notes on the calculator...as well as import notes FROM a computer. (Microsoft word supported).

Get it from: http://education.ti....e/Detail?id=268

Edited by Guest

Hi! I'm a little new to the forum and I was wondering if there is any sort of guide for the the Texas instrument 84 plus calculator?

We have just got it from our school and I find it very confusing to use?

And IB2 students keep talking about how easy it is to solve equations on it. How do you solve equations?