IB and Abitur: still practicable?

Chrys

Hi,

I'm thinking about doing the IB May 2014.

As I am also required to take the German Abitur (final exam of secondary education), is it still practicable to learn for both, being aware that both of them will take place on the same day and with different subjects in each?

Everything to the extent of continuing my current social life with all its perfidy...

Chrys =)

Edited by Chrys

I've heard of some schools in Germany doing that. I think its doable if you're really motivated, good at English and if you can handle the extra stress. You shouldn't expect much of a social life though :D

I would try to get your sport courses needed for the Abi to count as CAS and maybe even other subjects you aren't doing for IB. Also, try to keep your HL classes the same as your "Leistungskurse". You're EE could probably be the same as your "Facharbeit" as well.

Think about it and only do it if you want to study abroad because German universities really don't care whether you have IB or Abi. I'd say IB has a higher workload (all internal assessments...) and covers a broader range of topics in all courses whilst the German system has courses that go into more depth. Remember that the grading is quite different as well, in IB the final exam counts 70-80 % of your final grade, the Abi exam only count a third. Also you don't get graded for participation in class like you do in Germany

Hope this helps :)

• 4 months later...