No idea for my biology lab

anne.antoinette

Our teacher sent us a list of topics to inspire us, but there is nothing that interests me on there... The only human topic was how X influences reaction time... And the rest were either bacteria-related or plants... Im not a big fan of studying photosynthesis & dont have the knowledge to do anything with bacteria... What could be an interesting but easy biology field I could make a lab in? I was recently reading about the blind spot and got interested, but I dont know if its something good to make my internal assesment about it... And what should I test? Something's influence on it?

Edited by anne.antoinette

Okay this is your biology IA, not an EE. So you shouldn't worry about it being not very interesting! If I were you, I would only care about getting a good mark for it by choosing a simple easy topic and do a perfect IA and get your 6 points.

I hate plants and testing for photosynthesis, but I actually did a transpiration one for my biology IA and I am so glad I did it. I believe a more interesting topic wouldn't get better marks just because it's more interesting. :)

Therefore, I would personally recommend you choose something easy, not sure if these are in your teacher's list but I am giving you the easiest ones I can think of:

• Effect of pH on enzyme reaction (Amylase, Lipase or Pepsin).
  • Effect of temperate on enzyme reaction.
  • Effect of substrate concentrating on enzyme reaction.
  • From which side does a leaf transpirate more from (Pretty easy and not so bad).
  • Effect of SA:V ration on rate of diffusion (SA:V--. Surface Area : Volume, I used agar cubes).

There are so many more, but these are the only ones I recall.

Make it simple and neat. :)

• Like 1

The thing is, I know nothing about enzymes. Along with genetics, its just one of those things I cant seem to learn. I was thinking something about humans senses or perhaps attention, but my teacher told us to find some scientific article that we could later on refer to in the introduction and Im finding it hard to find anything... Where should I look?

I am not sure to be honest. I can't think of any articles about things you could experiment.

I have to ask this; you are a biology student, how can you not know anything about enzymes? I mean, you don't even know the basics that allow you to do an IA?

That Amylase breaks down starch into Glucose at an optimum temperature of 37 degrees?

If not, then there are clear points you have to know to understand everything about enzymes and do an IA on them.

• Like 1