need help with tok presentation: maths & reason

nick.pang

Hi,

Im havng trouble with my tok presentation and would like some advice. Im doing my presentation on maths and reason and my knowledge issue is 'can maths exist without using reason as an WoK?'

my general claim is that it cant but i need some examples to make the presentation more balanced.

Thanks!

I guess you'll have to deal a lot with proving then... actually why not emotion? it's more intriguing although it'll be difficult to present on. but anyway, yeah as you figured reasoning is important in Maths.

example:

Mathematical Induction: Deductive Reasoning

Major Premise: if a proposition is true for k, it's true for k+1

Minor Premise: the proposition is true for 1

Conclusion: the proposition is true for all positive integers

can't think of any more appropriate example at the moment, but I'll think about it and come back to you if I get some more. I'm thinking about Statistics and its reliability but can't really find a good example involving reasoning... you know right that statistics from a sample might not be able to represent the whole population...that. try to find an example where some people or a business rely on statistics of a sample to figure out something about the population.

good luck with it and I'd like to see it once it's done if you don't mind! would be very interesting!!

• Like 1

Hi,

Im havng trouble with my tok presentation and would like some advice. Im doing my presentation on maths and reason and my knowledge issue is 'can maths exist without using reason as an WoK?'

my general claim is that it cant but i need some examples to make the presentation more balanced.

Thanks!

One of the reaons why you are struggling is that your KI is too focused on a WoK. Hence it limits your scope and you are stuck to one arguement. It is generally impossible to detach reason completely from mathematics which makes your KI slightly redundant. I'm not sure how you would fit emotion into the response as Desy mentioned so you might want to ask her for an example which would be a way out.

I would turn your KI into something along the lines of: To what extent are the axioms underlying mathematics chosen as an act of faith? This turns the question into something explorable and more approachable. I hope this solves your problem.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

One of the reaons why you are struggling is that your KI is too focused on a WoK. Hence it limits your scope and you are stuck to one arguement. It is generally impossible to detach reason completely from mathematics which makes your KI slightly redundant. I'm not sure how you would fit emotion into the response as Desy mentioned so you might want to ask her for an example which would be a way out.

I would turn your KI into something along the lines of: To what extent are the axioms underlying mathematics chosen as an act of faith? This turns the question into something explorable and more approachable. I hope this solves your problem.

I have to do a presentation in TOK on mathematics, and I was just going through this post and stumbled upon your question.

"To what extent are the axioms underlying mathematics chosen as an act of faith?" What does it actually mean? (like could you simply it for me) and how could I expand it?