Hooke's Law

Chronofox

Hooke's law, F = -kx, suggests that the relationship between the force applied upon an object and its extension is linear. However, when I conducted an experiment, the results that I acquired were more indicative of a logarithmic relationship.

phys.png

With 0.05 N of force applied, the extension was 1.2 cm. By increasing the force, the increments of each increase in extension slowly decreased. This was true of three different trials.

Is this supposed to happen (why?), or could there be systematic / accuracy errors resulting in these measurements

I got the same thing, actually it's supposed to be linear at first but as the mass increases, if I remember correctly it exceeds some limit which makes the extension not as long as it's supposed to be.

I'll look for my lab report and get back to you later.

Well, when you apply a force that exceeds the limit, we were told that the spring starts to deform. (Reason why there is no more linear relationship).

ah yes, that. the theory in my lab says:

This behaviour (F=kx) only holds true for certain objects under certain loads. Once the load exceeds a limit, known as the limit or proportionality, the behaviour is no longer linear.

(Procedure)

Continue adding greater loads until the spring fails. This will often happen because the loop at the end unwinds.

Do not test these springs to failure.

I know, not so much information/explanation, but I hope that at least gives you some idea on what to search on google for further info...

• 2 months later...